Adding a cleanout - Harder than it sounds...

I have a tub, two sinks, a toilet, on the 2nd floor. They are the only fixtures that drain into a Cast Iron Stack which is now clogged. This drain line leads to a shallow 30" crawlspace with a dirt floor and very difficult access (must crawl 25 feet to get to it). The drain runs vertically along the short foundation wall, then heads horizonally through the wall, just below the ground. Basically, the only piping accessible from the crawlspace is a cast-iron 90.

The problem: There is no cleanout to get a snake into.

I would like to add a cast-iron cleanout just outside the foundation wall, since the drain line is only a few inches deep right there. I will snap the drain line, and add a cast Iron cleanout with the propper no hub connectors.

Does this sound like a reasonable course of action? Is there another way I should go? I have only worked with Cast Iron a few times before. I figure two snap-cuts, two no-hub connectors, and I have a cleanout.

Reply to
hanson

Modern clean outs are in both directions. One elbow heading into the house and one heading to the street. Personally I would call someone cause I do not like dealing with "dirty water" I am not totally positive due to my understanding of the description of where the clog is.

Have you tried snaking from the vent? Harder, I will agree, and you will need a smaller head than if you were snaking the main line. Might get it open so that water can do its job. Have you pulled the toilet? They are usually pretty short runs before they get to the main line.

Reply to
SQLit

You are headed the right way. You might consider a double clean out, 2 combo's on their backs, bottom to bottom, to allow cleaning either direction. your municipality may require a backwater valve, though they can become maintenance hassles. here is about the only picture I could find of a double cleanout, scroll down to the Texas Twin Cleanout:

They can be made easily with PVC combos or wyes.

DanG

Thanks for your assistance. I did try to snake from the roof, but the snake did not make it very far before I hit an obstruction...Of course I snaked around like crazy with no luck. Strangely, the head of the snake had dirt (not mud) on it when I pulled it back out. Also, the vent is not lined up with the toilet which is not lined up with the main drain (seems strange, perhaps I am incorrect, though it is quite an old house with some additions). I decided that I wanted to add a cleanout anyway, so I did not try pulling the toilet.

Since the time that you both posted, I already added a cleanout (thanks for advice on getting a double clean-out) and I cleared the clog. Now, there is another problem, but at least I know the main drain is clear.

New Problem:

All of the 2nd floor fixtures are draining fine, except for the tub. When water is drained from the tub, or someone takes a shower, water comes out from under the toilet! (FYI the toilet is adjacent to the tub). And in the crawlspace, I can see water pouring down the OUTSIDE of the soil stack! I plan on snaking the tub tomorrow, but what do you think is going on? I reset the toilet only a month ago, perhaps the "wax ring" clogged an inlet coming from the tub. Or may the tub trap is just rotted out.

Please let me know your thoughts, and if there is anything I should do besides snaking the tub tomorrow. Thanks!

Reply to
hanson

You must need a double wax ring on the toilet. If it were well sealed, water shouldn't get out there. Say it another way - if water can get out there, sewer gas can get out there. That tub drain will be difficult to auger, it almost demands getting to the piping. If it ends up having an old fashioned drum trap on the line, you will be repiping it almost for certain. You might try a plumber's friend first to see if you can jar it loose and get it running I am having a difficult time imagining what could be blocked enough to force water up at the wax ring and yet allow the toilet to flow.

DanG

Hi, Wonder if tub drain vent is blocked? Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Reply to
Goedjn

Collapsed pipe an/or a root-clog, further down the line, so that there's enough volume in the pipe to take one flush (or maybe two), but which fills up when you put a tubfull of water into it. That will seep down over several hours of non-use, and then appear to work again.

Reply to
Goedjn

I second this assessment. I hope we're wrong. If we're right, break out the wallet.

Reply to
modervador