Added Cost For Having A Variuable Speed Blower On A Forced Hot Air Furnace: Wow ! (?)

Hello:
Have started talking to HVAC contractors regarding replacing a very old gas, forced hot air furnace with a new Trane or American Standard one. Probably about 100 K BTU/H size.
Wanted to get a two stage, with a variable speed blower unit.
Shocked at what the price differential "seems" to be for a unit with the variable speed blower, and for the same unit without the variable speed blower.
Does a differential in cost of about $ 1,500 sound right ? If not, what would be "right" ?
Thanks, B.
Robert11 wrote:

Hi, I am retired engineer(EE) from Honeywell. My own idea is getting a two speed blower model. highest efficiency, variable speed blower model typically needs more maintenance. If and when something goes wrong outside warranty, the cost is pretty steep. Highest efficiency comes at a price. My house is R2000 spec'd building. I have dual speed equipped furnace. Have fun, Tony

Yup..thats about right. Wait till the motor and controller fail out of warranty...LOL Gotta love Trane and American Standard prices...particularly, out of warranty.
$1500 will barely get the motor and controller replaced out of warranty.