? add second sink to granite counter ?

We just had a house built and opted to go with a single sink in the masterbath in a granite countertop. The plans did call for the second sink but we didn't think we needed 2. Well, we now wish we had the second sink. Is is possible to add the second sink after the granite is in or does the granite counter have to come out? The single sink is an undermount. The counter is 7 feet long. The vanity is under the single sink, there is open space under where the second sink could go so access to get under the counter is no problem.

betty

Reply to
campn4fun

I doubt if you can easily install the sink after the counter has been installed. A granite fabricator would have to be consulted. Holes would have to be cut in the counter for the sink and the plumbing and that work is usually done in a shop where the tools and jigs needed are readily available and where the mess can be tolerated. For them to cut new holes in your counter now might be possible but would involve making a big mess in your bath. What they will probably tell you is that the counter has to come out. It is probably a lot easier to do it that way. Just remove it and haul it to the shop.

Reply to
Lawrence

Most fabricators should be able to do this with the countertop in-situ. They may prefer to take the thing out and back to the shop, especially since you want an undermount (needs a more precise cut and then polishing).

Depending on the layout and how the first sink was mounted, they may have to lift the countertop anyway (to get the sink underneath and supported via the plywood).

Just get a couple of granite guys around to provide estimates.

Also bear in mind that on-site cutting and polishing will likely create a *lot* of dust -- be sure that you and/or your fabricator have some plan to contain/mitigate that.

Reply to
Malcolm Hoar