Add a room with only glue gun and screwdriver

"Centuries ago, Japanese homeowners sectioned off interior spaces using shoji screens made of paper and wood.
"Today, materials of choice are tempered glass and aluminum, but the goal is the same: to create interior walls easily, inexpensively and quickly."
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/business/6900052.html
So why can't you use paper and wood? The variety in wallpaper is endless and would give an opportunity for easy, cheap, redecorating.
HeyBub wrote:

Traditional Japanese houses, with the screen walls and matting-covered floors, burned pretty good. Don't think I could fall asleep in one unless I personally extinguished all open flames first.
-- aem sends...

...because I have kids and pets.
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Oh. Of course.
The Japanese only used that stuff in bachelor pads.
I forgot. Sorry.

You asked: "So why can't you use paper and wood"
In this case, "you" is "me" and I answered for "me" and "me" only.
I've seen what *my* kids and *my* pets can do to walls made of plaster, so I'm pretty sure paper wouldn't stand up very well in *my* house.
Maybe Japanese kids and pets are much gentler than mine. I can't say.
The again, we don't know how often they repair/repaired their paper walls either. That info might help answer your question also.