Actuary work

On Jeopardy tonight, one of the 3 contestatnts was an actuary but not for people.
He worked for a "home improvement" company, and with statistics, he predicted how long your refrigerator would last. So that they could sell exteneded warrantees at the right price.
When Trebec asked him if they were as good as fridges 40, 50 years ago, he said "It a shame, it really is."
IMO, you're beter off with no extended warranty. That way your a self insurer and you get to keep the profit you'll likely make. If you really can't afford another fridge when this one breaks, buy a second-hand one.

I just bought a new Netgear router for $80 and it has a lifetime warranty. Of course, the clerk asked if I wanted an extended warranty for $9.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Heh! At Best Buy the clerk wanted to sell me a warranty on a $0.98 mouse pad.
I declined.
Didn't need the mousepad warranty, cause you're using Linux mouse, and Linux mice don't get virusses?
OTOH, maybe the replacement value is less than the $9 warranty?

Heh! At Best Buy the clerk wanted to sell me a warranty on a $0.98 mouse pad.
I declined.

Read the fine print, I bet it is the lifetime of the socks, not you<G>.

What's left?
Mous pad oxidation, mouse pad fission, and mouse pad fusion.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Er, no. Linux is a knock-off of a 50-year old operating system designed by a money-losing division of your local telephone company. That's possibly why Linux has less than 2% of the installed operating system base.
Just what I needed, this morning. A serious answer to a stupid off topic quip.
Glad I didn't make a prostate joke. Then, you could have gone with the flow, bro.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Er, no. Linux is a knock-off of a 50-year old operating system designed by a money-losing division of your local telephone company. That's possibly why Linux has less than 2% of the installed operating system base.

In the last two weeks, at the Giant around here, the two new catch phrases at the cash register are, Did you find everyhing? and when done, Do you need help with the groceriss.
As to the first, I told them to stop rearranging things and I won't have troublei finding them, but I know they don't car what I say to the cashier.
Extended warranty so you can bring your router to Heaven?
I just bought a new Netgear router for $80 and it has a lifetime warranty. Of course, the clerk asked if I wanted an extended warranty for $9.

LOL. I would ask my heirs if they wanted to chip in on that.
On 1/18/2012 12:32 AM, micky wrote:

Extended warranties are high profit items. I always decline them.

re: "That way your a self insurer and you get to keep the profit you'll likely make"
Did you mean that *they'll* likely make?

Just bought a Whirlpool POS dishwasher to replace same brand 14 years old that was still working but showing the need for minor repairs.Whirlpool sent a letter to see if we would like an extended warranty. (Chinese Crap?) My reply is I won't spend ten cents on the POS after the year warranty expires. Early Whirlpool stuff was good. 1961 washer and 1967 dryer bought new. Ten years ago replaced them with Maytag because the Maytag was not as wide at would fit our remodeling utility room. Gave the old Whirlpool set to oldest son. He is still using them. Did buy an extended warranty on our 2007 Dodge Caravan however. That has paid off as many repairs have been needed to date. Recent Consumers Report showed these Caravans 2002 through 2007 were the worst of the worst vehicles for needed repairs. WW