ACTS ABOUT WD-40

Subject: FACTS ABOUT WD-40 The product began from a search for a rust preventative solvent and de-greaser to protect missile parts. WD-40 was created in 1953 by three technicians at the San Diego Rocket Chemical Company. It's name comes from the project that was to find a "water displacement" compound. They were successful with the fortieth formulation, thus WD-40. The Corvair Company bought it in bulk to protect their Atlas missile parts. The workers were so pleased with the product, they began smuggling (also known as "shrinkage" or "stealing") it out to use at home. The executives decided there might be a consumer market for it and put it in aerosol cans. The rest, as they say, is history It is a carefully guarded recipe known only to four people. Only one of them is the "brew master." There are about 2.5 million gallons of the stuff manufactured each year. It gets it's distinctive smell from a fragrance that is added to the brew. Ken East says there is nothing in WD-40 that would hurt you. Here are some of the uses: Protects silver from tarnishing Cleans and lubricates guitar strings Gets oil spots off concrete driveways Gives floors that 'just-waxed' sheen without making it slippery Keeps flies off cows Restores and cleans chalkboards Removes lipstick stains Loosens stubborn zippers Untangles jewelry chains Removes stains from stainless steel sinks Removes dirt and grime from the barbecue grill Keeps ceramic/terra cotta garden pots from oxidizing Removes tomato stains from clothing Keeps glass shower doors free of water spots Camouflages scratches in ceramic and marble floors Keeps scissors working smoothly Lubricates noisy door hinges on vehicles and doors in homes Gives a children's play gym slide a shine for a super fast slide Lubricates gear shift and mower deck lever for ease of handling on riding mowers Rids rocking chairs and swings of squeaky noises Lubricates tracks in sticking home windows and makes them easier to open Spraying an umbrella stem makes it easier to open and close Restores and cleans padded leather dashboards in vehicles, as well as vinyl bumpers Restores and cleans roof racks on vehicles Lubricates and stops squeaks in electric fans Lubricates wheel sprockets on tricycles, wagons and bicycles for easy handling Lubricates fan belts on washers and dryers and keeps them running smoothly Keeps rust from forming on saws and saw blades, and other tools We're not through. Here's more; Removes splattered grease on stove Keeps bathroom mirror from fogging Lubricates prosthetic limbs Keeps pigeons off the balcony (they hate the smell) Removes all traces of duct tape I have even heard of folks spraying it on their arms, hands, knees, etc., to relieve arthritis pain. One fellow claims spraying it on fishing lures attracts fish. WD-40 has been designated the "official multi-purpose problem-solver of NASCAR," a ringing endorsement if there ever was one. I told my NASCAR loving sons about this and they said they couldn't imagine how WD-40 can solve the Jeff Gordon problem. In celebration of their 50th year, the company conducted a contest to learn the favorite uses of it's customers and fan club members, (Yes, there is a WD-40 Fan Club). They compiled the information to identify the favorite use in each of the 50 states. Naturally I was curious about Georgia and Alabama and found the favorite use in both states was that it "penetrates stuck bolts, lug nuts, and hose ends." Florida's favorite use was "cleans and removes lovebugs from grills and bumpers." California's favorite use was penetrating the bolts on the Golden Gate Bridge. Let me close with one final, wonderful use--the favorite use in the State of New York--WD-40 protects the Statue of Liberty from the elements. No wonder they have had 50 successful years!!!!!!

Reply to
TOM KAN PA

That article is woefully short on "facts"...

Over 90% of the contents are listed as hazardous. Some ingredients are more hazardous than others, but there is PLENTY in WD-40 that can hurt you. Avoid ingestion, breathing of vapors, or prolonged contact with skin. It's also flammable.

Some of the "tips" are pretty bad ideas as well. Among others, it will damage some plastics and leather products, and it's definitely a major no-no to use it on guitar strings!

BB

Reply to
BinaryBillTheSailor

Off to a bad start "Convair" manufactured the Atlas missile...

And "lubricates" needs to be replaced with "temporarily lubricates" for most of the listed applications.

Reply to
George

This is Turtle.

There is one problem with it. It will vaporize in 60 to 90 days and you have to reapply it to protect metal. Also you can't use it in electric motor for it will vaporize and leave the bearing dry in atleast 90 days. One you start using it, You have to keep on using it to protect the metal.

Now it is some good stuff but it does have it's draw backs.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

It apparently works pretty well as a cutting fluid- most of its "lubricant" is apparently kerosene. But I wouldn't actually use it for lubrication.

Gregm

Reply to
Greg Menke

There is absolutely no kerosene in WD-40.

BB

Reply to
BinaryBillTheSailor

the part about spraying it on the human body for pain for artheritis, etc. there was a show on the discovery channel a while back where a lady had a heart attach or such and they called an emergency unit out for her and she was given oxygen in large quanities and then taken to the hospital... while at the emergency room the doctors and nurses got sick as they had an odor or such in the room... the hospital checked it out and they could find no reason for it.. they called the haz-mat people and they checked out the room and could find nothing leaking from the pipes or vents i the room and did not know what it was.. well this one nurse/ or woman doctor did some research and found a scientist that cheecke out the story and found that the woman was using WD-40 for her pain and alot of it.. and that when the EMS unit went to here house and gave her large amounts of oxygen that it combined with the WD-40 causing a reaction with the two chemicals and that it changed into a chemical that was causing the problems in the emergency room........ so this changed the cause of the sickness in the Emergency room from ("its just in your head", to "its really an illness"

Reply to
jim

Name a specific ingredient that is harmful, other than aspirating hydrocarbons.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

I thought the formula was a secret?

Reply to
JerryMouse

If you know that, could you tell us what is in there?

Don Klipstein

reapply it to protect metal. Also you can't use it

One you start using it, You have to keep on

I used to service and repair office machines and industrial equipment. WD 40 is very good for temporary repairs such as loosening stuck parts. That's not quite the same as lubricating the same parts as whatever lubricating properties WD 40 may seem to exhibit it dries off quite quickly to leave behind bare metal surfaces. The equipment then gets stuck again or create wear marks. In any case bearings and gears in modern electronic equipment such as computer printers and printer calculator machines are meant to run dry. Applying WD 40 or even light machine oil creates more problems than they are worth.

I can't say much of the long list of unorthodox uses found for WD 40. But one very useful application is to remove hardened and "permanently" stuck labels. Spray some on a old gummed label and wait a few minutes. The label then peels off easily like a wet water slide decal.

Reply to
Klm

reapply it to protect metal. Also you can't use it

days. One you start using it, You have to keep on

This is Turtle.

That WD-40 is very good for uses like you say but just don't use it as a oil for electric motors or bearings of Gear drive equipment. It will just dry up and leave metal to metal bearings running together. Now if i just want a motor to run till the next day. I will use WD-40 in it but will change the motor out the next day. The WD-40 will run out what oil you do have in the bears of the motor and the next time it freezes up. It will burn up the bearings.

Everything has a use but WD-40 is not for Electric motors

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

WD40's specific recipe is a trade secret, however I gave a link that lists the prercentages of ingredients that are classified as hazardous. Read it yourself.

BB

Reply to
BinaryBillTheSailor

No I can't. The company keeps the actual ingredients a trade secret, but they post a FAQ that lists a few things commonly guessed that are NOT in WD40, including silicone and kerosene. I gave a link to the site.

BB

Reply to
BinaryBillTheSailor

Ahh, I was confused- apparently kerosene is also a good cutting fluid. Now if the WD-40 people used some nice grade machine oil instead of whatever the stuff is they put in there, I might actually use it.

Gregm

Reply to
Greg Menke

Kerosene is essentially a very, very light oil.

BB

Reply to
BinaryBillTheSailor

Remember thy red spraytube, and thy aerosol can that thy days should be long upon the land. For I am the lubricant, thy lubricant. I have slid thee and thy sons with thee out of the land of Rust. I have coated and soothed and relieved all the days of thy life. For I am the lubricant, thy lubricant.

Acts WD-40

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Leaving out aspirating hydrocarbons is like shooting yourself in the head with a pistol and saying "what's harmful except lead and copper?"

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Some years ago, I was in a friend's garage. He had a wood stove going, and had an electric fan blowing on the woodstove to circulate the heat. I asked how the fan was holding up. It looked like the fan was probably 60 years old.

He says the fan runs for one day on WD-40. It runs for about a month on white lithium. I asked if I might give it a blast of the special oil that HVAC guys use. Well, sure enough, several months later the fan is still running, and he said thanks.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You are pathetic..

Reply to