Activities in furnace room?

I have my workshop set up in the same basement room as the gas furnace. Because of the presence of gas, I'm curious about the safety of doing certain things in there. Mainly I'm thinking about running power equipment, such as drills, etc. Is there a danger to doing that? What type of things should I avoid, if any?
Thanks.
--
x-no-archive: yes

Dave

Airkings wrote:

IMHO, the bigger danger will be to the furnace. Sawdust drawn into the burners, clogging them, just as an example.
Danger from a drill sparking and igniting the gas? Nah. If there is a gas leak, the burner flames will take care of it...
Jim

It is very safe. The only activity to be concerned about is fumes from painting, thinners, etc. The tools won't do anything to cause a problem. Sawdust is a concern though. It will clog filters fast. If you are running table saws, routers, planers, dust collection is a must.
A proper working furnace should not put any gas into the air. Not unless a line is broken, etc.
However, as the other poster said, most furnace need air from the cellar. And so paint fumes, dust, etc. might not help the furnace. Also please don't store gasoline in the cellar. And store a minimum of flammable liquids.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Not with a dual pipe, sealed combustion furnace!!
But, you have seen one of those, RIGHT?

shit snipped...
~kjpro~
| >I have my workshop set up in the same basement room as the gas furnace. | >Because of the presence of gas, I'm curious about the safety of doing | >certain things in there. Mainly I'm thinking about running power equipment, | >such as drills, etc. Is there a danger to doing that? What type of things | >should I avoid, if any? | | It is very safe. The only activity to be concerned about is fumes from | painting, thinners, etc. The tools won't do anything to cause a problem. | Sawdust is a concern though. It will clog filters fast. If you are running | table saws, routers, planers, dust collection is a must. | | When I lived in Chgo I put a "closet" around the furnace and added lots of air intake room, covered with screen underneath louvres. Louvres caught a lot, the screen the rest. Eventually I put three furnace filters behind the screens and removed the top of the closet, replacign it with furnace filters too, and it worked very well. But ... you HAVE to be POSITIVE you don't restrict air supply to the furnace to insure the fumes go up the chimney properly. If you're lucky, t here is a plate inside somewhere that will give the sq. ft of air entry required. Oh, and inspect the furnace often for dust collection. Google has lots of hits for this kind of thing.
Pop
Airkings wrote:

Body emissions......

or sex on the floor. Sawdust plays hell on the cheeks of yer woman's butt.....
On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 22:50:03 GMT, "Airkings"

The area should be kept clean and free of flammable items, including sawdust, grease, solvents, paint, etc. An ABC fire extinguisher is a good investment.

I've put my woodworking shop in the basement right next to the furnace without any ill effects except changing the filter a lot. I have a habit of turning OFF the furnace when I'm down there working, however, and that helps a lot.