Actions of a prior owner

Page 3 of 3

Others gave some good answers from a legal point of view, but I'm curious as to why after all this time it happened. Did you piss off the neighbor? Any chance of talking to him?
wrote in message

as
Any
Money talks--suggest look into a lot line adjustment,offering him cash........
--
SVL

p4o2 wrote:

Is the WHOLE shed over the property line, or just part of it? How big a shed is it? Do either you or he have a survey? Have you asked why the neighbor suddenly NOW wants you to move the shed? How hard would it actually be to move it? How about to blow it up and build a new one?
If it's really on his property, and he wants it gone, you ought to move it. (this being a question of what's right, as opposed to what's legal)
--Goedjn

This one must be from my neighbor? Since I have never seen him (her).

If the neighboring owner is not using the land and is only interested in avoiding adverse possession, you may be able to reach an amicable solution. You can prepare a simple document showing that you recognize the encroachment and that he grants you permission to continue the use to some future time or to a revocation by him. The document will need to be signed by both of you and would best be recorded. Since your occupation is thus at his pleasure, adverse possession is then ruled out.
In my working years, we did a variation of this on unused project rights-of-ways. Farmers applied and we issued use permits, revocable when our need arose. Sometimes the use occurred before application was made and we had to suggest that they should make application. Never had problems with this process.