Acrylic windows

Page 2 of 3

On 6/16/2010 6:55 AM Jean spake thus:

Ah, so, it's all clear now. Well, not all that clear, but I get it.
As others have said, maybe you just need to learn to live with the vinyl. I once put up vinyl storm coverings on a sunroom, which kinda bugged me at first with their less-than-perfect optical quality, but soon got used to the view through them. And I appreciated that they didn't fall apart in the sun and weather like sheet poly does.
Sorry, don't know anything about acrylic.

Compared to the flexible vinyl sheet? Night and day!!!

Pollutants in air and water etch glass over time but it can be cleaned with products like Zud that have oxalic acid, I just had workers clean a greenhouses glass that would not come clean with windex, Plastics age and could never take that cleaning and will show wear from repeated cleanings, it will also likely yellow and need replacing in 20 years, glass will look good 10x longer. Ive seen old plexiglass on a church covering the stained glass, it looked bad. Car headlights are plastic, many are junk after 5-15 years, Stay with glass.
Jean, if you are talking about the panes, I am surprised you have acrylic. There is polycarbonate - Lexan is a major brand - that is virtually indestructible. You can smash it with a sledge hammer with no visible effect - great stuff, but it scratches easier than the acrylic.
As others have said - consider real glass. For breakage you can go to tempered or laminated glass. When tempered glass breaks it disintegrates into fingernail sized pieces with relatively non-sharp edges: it can take quite a beating.
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DanG

Lexan (bronze color) has been used in prisons (exterior cell windows) for 30 years, depending on security levels. Those in the asylum are not issued sledge hammers.
On 6/15/2010 9:35 PM DanG spake thus:

I just replaced a friend's back door window with safety (laminated) glass, for security (he had a double-cylinder lock in the door and I've been after him for more than a year now to let me replace the inside cylinder with a turnbolt so you can get out quick in case of a fire). Great stuff. The glass shop has a sample piece they tried to break: the outer layers have cracks in them, but the piece is totally intact. The glass guy said you could hammer on it for half an hour and only succeed in making a small hole in it. (Well, that might be a wee bit of an exaggeration, but it's pretty damn strong stuff.)
Only problem is, it's damn expensive. My piece, about 20" x 32", as about $80. So maybe not economical to replace large windows with it.

Another problem is, the laminate is so strong that you can knock the glass right through the frame.

It can take quite a beating, but NOT a shrp impact. An automatic center punch will destroy even 1/4" tempered glass in an instant.
On 6/15/2010 7:51 PM snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca spake thus:

Tempered glass, yes, but not safety glass, which would crack but would otherwise still be intact.

They are both considered "safety" glass.
On 6/15/2010 8:17 PM Ron spake thus:

Yes, but the stuff I'm typing about is laminated glass, not tempered glass.

And it was tempered glass that was being discussed above...not laminated.

On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 20:09:39 -0700, David Nebenzahl

Tempered glass IS safety glass - but so is laminated, and Jersey glass - the stuff with chicken-wire in it.
As you should be able to tell, I was responding to the " When tempered glass breaks it disintegrates into fingernail sized pieces with relatively non-sharp edges: it can take quite a beating."
On Jun 15, 10:51pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

So will a piece of spark plug ceramic.

He doesn't. He has vinyl.

Are these more or less double hung style, or are you talking about jalousie windows?

Perhaps like this? http://www.weatherwallsystems.com/productinfo.htm

Perhaps like this? http://www.weatherwallsystems.com/productinfo.htm
Yup, those are the type of windows that I'm talking about - good find!
Jean

Notice that that's a Canadian supplier....the original concept is Florida based. You shouldn't have trouble finding repair materials.
On 6/17/2010 4:52 AM Jean spake thus:

So now we see. So tell us, is the material the same kind of sheet vinyl you'd buy in the hardward store, or is it thicker? Seems like it'd have to be thicker than just the thin sheet, since they clain that it can withstand "that grandchild [that] just fell against it again". How thick would you say the material is?