Acrylic shower base -- can it be recoated?

Another poster is asking whether to use an acrylic or a tile shower base, but I have a question about an already installed acrylic base -- at least I think it must be acrylic.
Can an acrylic base be recoated with some type of gel coat? Like, say, a fiberglass boat can?
Our shower base is 20+ years old. It's holding up just fine and still looks OK, but years of cleaning has got to be taking a toll. The glass stall is fairly new so I wouldn't want to replace the whole thing in a few years if I can avoid it.
yes, it's a pain in the a__, but it can be done, the same way you would a boat....if it were me, and I had to do it, i'd go with an epoxy coating, rather than a gel coat....