acrylic sheet waterproof glue?

Hi all,
I'm looking for a glue to bond together clear acrylic sheet. Needs to dry clear, withstand submersion in (cold) water, and (hopefully) be something that I can get at a local store (rather than having to order online, as I was hoping to pick up + use this weekend).
I do have a can of PVC pipe solvent cement on the shelf, but I don't think it meets the "needs to dry clear" part.
Any recommendations? (worst-case I could try Gorilla super-glue; the Gorilla folk claim it to be sort-of water resistant. I need it for something that'll last a couple of hours, under little mechanical stress, and which can then happily fall to pieces :-)
cheers
Jules
Add pictures here
✖
On 1/14/2011 2:05 PM, Jules Richardson wrote:

Acetone is a solvent for acrylic and acetone wet surfaces will bond. You'll have to buff up any solvent contacted surfaces. If the stuff for PVC contains solvents only, it should also work.
Add pictures here
✖
On Jan 14, 1:05 pm, Jules Richardson

Go to any supply house and buy their proprietary cement. While many organic solvents will have some effect on acrylics, only methylene chloride based cements have the characteristics you need for successful bonding. This is what advertising sign makers use for those big acrylic letters mounted on buildings. You will find it with a Google search.
Joe
Add pictures here
✖

Methylene chloride is what we use at work for use with acrylic and PETG. It's sold at most plastics-supply places. We use glass syringes, because it eats plastic ones.
Methylene chloride is incredibly volatile; don't count on being able to keep it around for long. It will evaporate in a few weeks even while in a glass bottle.
--
Tegger

Add pictures here
✖
Jules Richardson wrote the following:

It'll be in the aisle with the plastic sheet. I made a display case of plastic sheet and glued all pieces together. I used the GE Lexan cement and sealant.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Probably too late now, but methylene chloride is your solution.
Plastics places have this watery liquid, and hopefully some are open on Saturday in your area. These places typically supply the trade, so when the trade is closed, so are they.
--
Tegger

Add pictures here
✖

Smitty Two is correct on this. I have a couple tubes of Weld-On # 16 in my desk.
There are lighter bodied glues, assembly project & flow in glue. The bonds are very clear but not nearly as strong. :(
cheers Bob
Add pictures here
✖

I used to work in a model shop that specialized in architectural acrylic models, and we used plain old acetone on razor knife-scraped edges, applied by syringe, and the joined surface was totally clear.
✖
On Sat, 15 Jan 2011 01:03:36 -0800, DD_BobK wrote:

Thanks, you two - noted and kept as a backup plan :-) I found something at Walrus-Mart called E-6000 which claims to be waterproof and didn't state that it shouldn't be used with acrylic, and that's looking promising so far (it dries clear and doesn't dissolve the acrylic - so far it's passing a "being submerged in a pot of water" test, too)
This is for a small water-wheel hooked to a gearbox and generator for a science demo; I designed the wheel so that the vanes slot into the wheel sides, so it'll have a lot of inherent mechanical strength without relying on bonds formed by the glue. First time I've ever built anything from acrylic sheet before...
cheers!
Jules
Add pictures here
✖
Jules Richardson wrote:

Fast to, about 5 seconds to press it together. Smelled nice to. Not sure whether it would be legal today... :)
Add pictures here
✖

And you get a nice nap during glue up.
✖
RicodJour wrote:

It was a project to make a modular radio for a classroom. Every resistor/cap/coil was put inside plastic, with plugin connectors. Two banana plugs in the bottom plastic layer, the component in- side the middle layer, and a top layer to close/protect. Plug in all the components, and you had a working radio. You have to breath a lot of chloroform to go under. It has a sweetish clingy odour.
Add pictures here
✖