acrylic paint quality

What makes a good paint? I'm trying to repaint my oak cabinet. The lady at the paint store recommends L&P's Accolade paint over BEHR (from home depot) which is double the price and with far less selection of colors. I thought as long as I get 100% acrylic, then I should be fine. Is the finish smoother with better quality paint?

thx in advance

Reply to
wendi

P&L not L&P, It will finish smoother but their oil and Ben Moore Satin Impervo finish smoother

Reply to
m Ransley

L&P is expensive paint. Sherwin Williams or Benjamin Moore paint is very good. Lots of preparation work makes a good paint job. Lightly sand using a sanding block and 220 grit between coats to get a smooth finish. Also, it is best to have what is being painted on a horizontal surface to prevent drips and sags. Use a quality brush, and the proper kind (nylon, natural, etc) of brush for the paint selected. Take extra care to allow the paint to fully cure undisturbed for one month.

Reply to
Phisherman

We just built a new home and the wife was the painter. She swears by the BEHR paint from Home Depot.

You re "painting" an Oak cabinet ?

Reply to
Rudy

Do you guys mean Pratt & Lambert?

If so, it is expensive, but I find it's excellent stuff.

Brand is usually secondary to me over color. Many brands have certain colors that others don', so I go with that brand's best stuff. I've had great results with P&L, Muralo, Benjamin Moore, and Sherwin Williams.

Remember, some brands do certain colors better than others. One guy's yellow or red may cover and resist fading than another. Another's white may cover and resist yellowing better than others.

Some folks have had good results with Behr, but I prefer to stay out of big box stores.

Barry

Reply to
Bonehenge

There are only 2 trim paints on the market that can produce a sprayed on quality finish look. And none are latex or at Box Stores, nor PPG or Sherwin Williams or the competition.

Benjamin Moore Satin Impervo and Impervo and Pratt and Lambert Oil trim. Sand with 220 till perfectly smooth use Penetrol till it doesnt drag and use it regularly to thin, and a tack cloth and a Chinese bristle brush. Expensive, but all quality is. Its the way it was normaly done, many years ago.

Reply to
m Ransley

HD is running a $5 off gal so I tried their int mildew resistant semi-gloss Pure White for the bathroom ceiling. I was covering a dirty off white. 2 coats didn't do it and I thought the paint was a little watery for my taste. Part of the ceiling was a light shaft for the skylight. Theres a couple of places up their that could use a little more but 3 strikes and your out. Next gallon its back to Ben.

Reply to
Jim2034204

Not true. Only very good SW and BM paints are very good.

Reply to
jeffc

No, it's not a brand that does well, it's the specific product within the brand that does well.

Reply to
jeffc

I purchased some BEHR paint from Home Depot this year to paint a couple of rooms in my house. I did not like it at all. Its not a terrible paint but it isn't good either. For one of the colors even after 4 coats the trim (already primed) still looked spotty. I also felt that it didn't stick to the walls well like other good quality paints. Lots of it came off when we removed the painter's tape.

After that experience I decided that in the future I'll only go with Benjamin Moore paints.

Reply to
Jonny R

Good point!

Barry

Reply to
Bonehenge

How much did you pay per gallon for the Behr paint? Usually you have to pay $30.-40. per gallon for good quality paint.

Go to

, click on Library, and click on Coatings Articles, to learn more about paint, why it fails and what to do about it.

John

Reply to
John Leeke

BEHR is $20. L&P is $30.

Thx John. Interesting website. Unfortunately, all the articles seem to apply to exterior only.

-wen

Reply to
wendi

Cheap paint is usually very poor value. Expensive/quality paint is usually cheapest in the long run. (less coats, less labor, longer life)

I always use Pratt and Lambert Accolade for interior work. Avoid Behr like the plague!!

Reply to
davefr