Acrylic or laminate

I sent this to alt.architecture but forgot to post this to alt.home-repair

It's me again, the guy with the "replace the bath tub with a threshold-free shower" remodeling job . Another contractor was here last week and suggested that once the tub is ripped out we use an acrylic shower pan, not cultured marble as the guy on the top of our very short list suggested. The new guy suggested that we use not only an acrylic pan, but acrylic all the way to the ceiling.

The acrylic guy is a franchise who doesn't get good reviews on the Internet, but, maybe there's an advantage to using acrylic?

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Reply to
Info

My thoughts would be to go to a supply showplace that sells several types/brands of products. Last week I heard a discussion on the radio of hot tubs. Basically acrylic sheet is molded and is fairly thin. It is subsequent backup with fiber glass that makes it a substantial product.

Reply to
Frank

I think you'd be better off with plywood. I happen to own a plywood shower franchise and I can assure you it is better than anything else on the market. Plywood surround, plywood ceiling too. The advantage to using plywood is that I make money.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I should have made it clear, I am not using the franchise at all, no way. I'm just looking for ideas. I've had several people hear and some have asked good questions or suggested things that seem like good ideas to me.

I'm just looking for opinions on the acrylic vs. laminate suggestion. Thanks

Reply to
Info