ACQ lumber experience

mite heaven

creosote is no longer used, its illegal

Reply to
hallerb

Does anyone know what telephone poles use NOW?

Reply to
Too_Many_Tools

On Mon 29 Dec 2008 01:49:54p, dadiOH told us...

That would explain it. We bought ours from a lumber yard and told them that the bottom row of 6x6's would be partially imbedded in soil. They obviously put us onto the right product.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

Does anyone know what telephone poles use NOW?

I believe the guys installing the pole down the street from me a month ago said the used creosote.

Reply to
Bob F

I should add, that the bottom of the pole where the creosote was was wrapped in heavy green plastic, to cut down on transfers to the soil, and I assume, to the workers.

Reply to
Bob F

Please show me any article that shows creosote being illegal or restricted. Coal tar creosote treatment of wood ties, poles, etc is not restricted to my knowledge.

Reply to
DanG

Google creosote "restricted use"

Federally [USA] it is a restricted use pesticide- which means that not just anybody can go buy a gallon and slather it on.

state by state its usage is regulated differently- from outright bans- to don't use in the water.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Well- maybe not bans. I thought it was banned in NY but it can still be used on railroad ties and utility poles-

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

In SW Florida utility poles are CCA treated .... still. Don't let your kids lick them! If everyone followed that advice we wouldn't be having this ACQ question.

Reply to
gfretwell

Agent must read something differently than T-bird does. I just hit reply and it reads as 2008 here.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Treated lumber should last 10 years or more. I wonder if the planks purchased "missed" the proper treatment.

Reply to
Phisherman

You are thinking of the old CCA treated lumber which did and still does last for years. The new ACQ treated lumber is still in the trial stages.

I wish that I had bought a bunch of the old stuff, and still may if I can find some somewhere.

Reply to
Robert Allison

one day guys in moon suits will be busy nationwide removing treated wood, it will be asbestos crews, after they run out of asbestos to remove

just a matter of time

Reply to
hallerb

I wonder who's definition of "proper" treatment the manufacturer goes by? Now days it is common for pressure treatment to pressure the chemicals some depth into the surface, but not necessarily to the center. Then the wood commonly develops cracks. If the crack extends beyond the treated depth, there is nothing to prevent termites & moisture/rot from getting to the untreated portion of the wood and hollowing it out. I believe that is what caused the problem I experienced. Bad thing is that there is no way of telling how "properly" the lumber is treated without cutting off a portion of it.

Red

Reply to
Red

It is measured by the pounds per cu/ft of injected material. I am not sure what is "good" with ACQ but I wouldn't use anything less than .40 CCA for much of anything and when you are in salt water 2.5 is a better number.

Reply to
gfretwell