ACQ lumber experience

Page 1 of 2
Two years ago I had more firewood than would fit under my shed so I bought 2 PT 4x4x8's from Lowes, laid them on the ground, stacked the firewood on them, and covered the wood with a tarp. I just used the last of the wood (all good BTW) and went to move the 4x4's. They were eaten up and rotted from the ground side up. Termite tunnels were readily apparent. Two years on the ground, not in it, and they were completely useless! They still had the tags stapled on the ends so the staples didn't even have time to rust off. I knew it wouldn't last as long as the old PT lumber, but not even 2 years??
Red

Pretty much in those circumstances, yes, not surprised. It's pretty much useless for insect infestation afaict, only slightly enhanced over untreated for wet.
Red wrote:

Apparently the change in pressure treating chemicals to less toxic materials might be the problem. Also may be a good idea to kill those termites before they start munching on your house ;)

The house perimeter has been termite treated. The wood pile is 60' away from it.
My concern though is acq lumber used for fence posts and storage buildings where it is in contact with the ground.
Red
Red wrote:

I've got old stuff, in the ground that has held up for over 30 years. It even survived a termite infestation where wood piles and stumps were being eaten but not my flights of steps in the back yard. Neighbors home was attacked and his treatment killed the nest(s).
I am somewhat familiar with the treatment chemicals and believe they eliminated the old arsenicals that are highly toxic in favor of less toxic copper or chlorinated organics. As others suggest, there may be different grades of new lumber and maybe none have the durability of the old treatments.
Frank

Is there a warrantee on that wood?

Unless these jokers have changed that warranty, only with original receipt and those stupid little tags. Bet you never read the fine print! :)
So this guy is half way there.
Colbyt

I've got a collection of those tags.
">>.. 2 PT 4x4x8's from Lowes, laid them on the ground, stacked the

obviously NOT the grade for "Ground Contact"

This probably is the problem. They did not buy .40 ground contact lumber, and bought .25 for above ground.

Yes they are, I just checked the labels. It says "ground contact ACQ . 40" Also states "lifetime limited warranty" but does not state what limits are meant by "limited". Even if they replace them, I don't know if I would trust using them again in a ground contact situation.
Red

Yes they are, I just checked the labels. It says "ground contact ACQ . 40" Also states "lifetime limited warranty" but does not state what limits are meant by "limited". Even if they replace them, I don't know if I would trust using them again in a ground contact situation.
It doesn't sound like a really high risk usage. Let them replace them.

I just had 250 linear feet of wood fence installed a year ago. The fence posts are 4x4 PT spaced every four feet. I poured 12"x12"x12" hole for concrete and the 4x4 sits 8" deep in it. It's hot and humid termite heaven Miami, I hope they will not rot away in 2 years I would be pisseddddddddd!
MC
On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 15:47:41 -0500, "MiamiCuse"

Pour a tad of diesel fuel around base of the posts, and brush a little at the base of the post.
Telephone poles have creosote for a reason :)

creosote is no longer used, its illegal

Does anyone know what telephone poles use NOW?

Does anyone know what telephone poles use NOW?
I believe the guys installing the pole down the street from me a month ago said the used creosote.

I should add, that the bottom of the pole where the creosote was was wrapped in heavy green plastic, to cut down on transfers to the soil, and I assume, to the workers.
Please show me any article that shows creosote being illegal or restricted. Coal tar creosote treatment of wood ties, poles, etc is not restricted to my knowledge.
--
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

Google creosote "restricted use"
Federally [USA] it is a restricted use pesticide- which means that not just anybody can go buy a gallon and slather it on.
state by state its usage is regulated differently- from outright bans- to don't use in the water.
Jim