Ace Hardware Stores

Page 2 of 2

That's cause they don't want you messin' with the copper kettle and tubing right in the back. I bet they are very mellow people huh? :-)
I spent many years in northern VT. Although VT hosts high tech computer chip mfg, outside the towns still exist many General Stores. Some you could take a B&W picture and put it in a history book and no one would know is's not 150 years old.
Add pictures here
✖
"Cheri" <gserviceatinreachdotcom> wrote in message

Prices are better at the Borg stores, but help is either nonexistant or semiconscious at the Borgs. Much more, better, and knowledgeable people at Ace. I live in a rural area, so our Aces tend to be a little better than the citified versions. They also have huge sporting goods departments, complete with ...................... GUNS!
Steve
Add pictures here
✖
"Cheri" <gserviceatinreachdotcom> wrote in message

owned, I know ours is, so service, price, etc will vary from store to store.
I love the service, friendliness, and don't mind paying a little more to get it, and more of the money stays local, unlike the big box stores.
Bob-tx
Add pictures here
✖

I think that was true here. I know the True Value was. I wish they were still here, as they were preferable to Lowe's when you need to ask about something/

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
On Apr 10, 2:51 pm, "Cheri" <gserviceatinreachdotcom> wrote:

Where I live, the Ace stores and the very few remaining independents are located on street corners of older neighborhoods. Very convenient for the "city-folk" who can either walk there or drive a much shorter distance than it would take to get to the borgs in the suburbs.
With that convenience comes much higher prices and a lot of lower quality items. While you can still get the single bolt or odd sized plumbing fitting from there, if you try to get everything you need for a given project, you're going to spend a lot more than at a borg.
YMMV, depending on where you live.
Add pictures here
✖
I like my local Ace hardware store. The problem is that I'm usually working at the times when it is open. I have shopped there 2 times in 18 years. Home Depot is open late Saturdays and Sundays and that's when I shop. I'm not about to take a vacation day to shop Ace. :(
Add pictures here
✖
Cheri wrote:

Anyone who's near Oconnor True Value Hardware in Billerica, Massachusetts is real lucky.
Great place, been there forever, has EVERYTHING and real good help.
Go for it if you can.
http://www.oconnorhardware.com /
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)
Cheri wrote:

As others have noted, the big box stores have more convenient hours and generally better prices. The more competent staff and the advice you can get from them at the small hardware stores may well be worth the price and convenience premium to some folks. For those of us who know what we need and don't need any advice, the savings and convenience of the big box stores wins out. For any given project beyond a simple repair, neither the big box stores, nor the small hardware store will have everything you need, so you'll still have to visit the specialty stores to round out the project.
Add pictures here
✖
Pete C. wrote in message ...

Yes, I can see the point of that, especially for the DIYers who take on big projects. I'm usually just looking for simple little things, like wax toilet rings, certain adapters, etc. so I'm much more satisfied with the small Ace store. Where I live, the prices at Ace seem to be consistently lower, but that probably wouldn't be true for big projects.
Cheri
Add pictures here
✖