ACE Hardware ripoff

Page 2 of 2

scam,

often
is
be
hoodwink
strategy
That makes a lot sense for those few that honor their rebates.
Unfortunately many do not. I kept my original posting positive by naming a few who do. I won't change that policy now except to say watch out for Compusa and Tiger Software. Those two deserve a slam.
Ace has never done me. But I don't shop there.
Colbyt
Just about everything these days is a rip off.
On 1/10/2005 8:08 PM US(ET), Camilo took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

Retailers do offer rebates. I bought a Sony computer system from Best Buy. Computer, monitor and a Canon printer bundled in. I had rebate forms totaling $200 on the system. 2 for Sony for the computer and the monitor, one from Canon on the printer, and one from Best Buy on the whole bundle. I sent them all in to the various addresses provided, and enclosed the necessary items for the rebate. After about 6-8 weeks, I got the rebates from Sony and Canon, but not the Best Buy one. They claim I didn't send in the correct items. I called and complained that I had sent in all the items requested, but they said that the UPC was wrong or something to that effect. Fortunately, I had scanned everything, including rebate forms, receipts, and even placing the cartons on the scanner and scanning the UPC before I had to cut it out to send it in. After they said that I had the wrong UPC, I rescanned every carton including any tag or label that had a number on it and sent them in. I told them that there were no more numbers than that which I had provided. After another 8 weeks, I finally got my Best Buy rebate. The odd thing is that they wanted proof that I bought the products. They had no problem with proof when charging my credit card for the items. I believe that all Retailer rebates should be instant rebates at the cash register. All the proof is right there when they scan the UPC and then take my credit card.
--
Bill

Got screwed by them also. I find it funny how they say invalid UPC then ask you to resubmit with the UPC. (any they only accept the original UPC).
I usually don't have a problem with rebates in general, but they have lost my business. Now, I just need to find a place near me that fills propane
I found this phone number at their rebate website. I called and they said they will update their system, and mail the rebate.
There might be hope.... ACE rebate processing == > 1-800-477-4137.
c_Kubie
On 1/12/2005 3:41 PM US(ET), c snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

You mean you don't have one of those 'Rhino' propane refill racks outside of every store? It seems like it here. All supermarkets, home improvement centers, grocery stores, and even the beer store has them.
--
Bill

willshak wrote:

I usually have very good luck getting rebates because I am very careful to send everything in properly and on time. But for about a year, I've been ripped off on about half the rebates I send in for computer hardware and stuff like that -- and generally it is a substantial rebate like $10 off of a $15 item, or $18.99 off a $18.99 item.
The company will pretend they never received it (and a search of their support BBS indicates that nobody ever gets a rebate honored (Soyo)) or they say I sent in the wrong UPC code (SMC), or they just ignore inquiries (too numerous to mention).
regards, Bob

say I sent in the wrong UPC code (SMC), or they just ignore >inquiries (too numerous to mention).
I had that problem, so I've taken to sending in the forms, UPC codes, etc. via certified, receipt-return mail.
Sounds almost as bad as the IRS.
--

Christopher A. Young
Keep Jesus Christ in CHRISTmas

Computer rebates seem to be getting better and folks like Office Depot are using "cash register" rebates more often. The last one I got from Western Digital was fast and all done online.

see thats the thing. other than the cost of a day or two (say a month even, they hired an idiot) of some computer programmers time, it eliminates the 'rebate center', which saves money for the company, and it insures the customer gets their rebate which makes them happy. since all qualifying products are now automatically rebated its a simple matter for a company to get the info to the manufacturer of each item for reimbursement. its a win win situation. they save money, the customer comes back.
but noooooo...
randy
Bascially (there are some exceptions, so don't flame me please) rebate schemes are a scam. Any vendor who truly wants (and intends) to give you a rebate will do it at the check out counter. Any other scheme is, by nature, a scam.
--James--
Sometime mail in rebate is the only way a manufacturer can give a rebate directly to the customer. Otherwise vendors are often taking the manufacturer rebate for profit.

James Nipper wrote:

No, it's not a scam. A rebate is an interest-free loan to the company. The actual value of the product is probably a few cents, but they have your money for a few months.
Since dealer mark-ups are usually based on a percentage of their purchase price, dealers prefer rebates and will sometimes not carry seriously discounted products because they don't make enough on them.
A $100 item with a $40 rebate costs the consumer $60 + some hassle, but the retailer makes profit on a $100.00 item instead of a $60.00 item. (Of vourse, you also pay tax on a $100 item.)

The only time i go to Ace Hardware is for a nut, bolt , a certain screw, or a photocopy ; they are not competitive and the new Home DePot by me is going to put them out of business .
I find that for some of the bulk items I get, Home Depot is a little cheaper and has more qny, However I find many of the common and specialty items comparable and some even cheaper than HD or Lowes. Easier to get in and out in a hurry also than HD or Lowes.
MC

MC wrote:

It's no different than Wally-World or any of the other quantity discounters...you have to know what something is worth 'cause it just ain't necessarily so that the lowest price is at any given location. In particular, I find the quality of lumber at HD to be <much> lower in general than Lowes so it's not an equal comparison between just price. Plus, if one has to drive 60+ miles to get to one of the superstores, there's a lot to be said for the cost of time/gas, etc...
The biggest disadvantage of all the large marketers is their reliance on volume of high-guantity, everyday items. If you then want/need something out of the ordinary or of <real> quality, having supported these mass-merchandisers having driven the locals out of business leaves one w/ no alternatives... :(