ACE Hardware Fertilizers ?

Hi,

Have always used the Scotts brand of basic lawn fertilizers.

Was wondering, though:

ACE Hardware has their own labeled brands of. Quite a bit cheaper.

Any thoughts on Ace fertilizer ?

"Good" as Scotts, etc. ?

Any burning type of problems with, if inadvertently used ?

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Robert11

I haven't used Ace's but I have used lots of other house brand lawn fertilizer. As long as the label shows that they have the same amount of nutrients X-X-X, IMO, opinion they are about the same. I haven't seen any difference.

Reply to
trader4

The three numbers tells you want is in there. Brand names tell you nothing. It may also include slow release. That would be a plus to reduce the chance of burning and wasting it. I suggest sticking with one feature products and not using weed and feeds ect. Most of the time the weed product should not be put on at the same time as the feed product.

If you are in the US, I suggest contacting your local county extension agent office and ask them to help you with a plan tailored to your local conditions. Some areas and soils need more of this or that or slow release etc. Follow their advice BTW their advice is free.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Have your soil tested (or test it yourself) and look and compare numbers on the packages to get the correct fertilizer for your lawn. A slow-release fertilizer is much better than one that is not slow-release. Fertilizer applied with a broadcast spreader to a damp ground is much less likely to burn. When filling a spreader, do so off the lawn in case you spill any. If you really want a better distributed application, apply at half rate, wait 4 weeks and apply the other half. I use an organic fertilizer once a year, and inorganic three times a year.

Reply to
Phisherman

ACE sells, although you may have to special order, Milorganite, which is like the ultimate organic lawn fertilizer.

Reply to
John Hines

I don't know if I would call it the ultimate, but it works for me. I do supplement it with some 12-12-12 to get a better balance.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I agree completely. Slow release fertilizer, x times a year depending on how often you want to mow grass. Varies with our southern grass 3-5 times/year. Fertilizer burns because it dehydrated the plant - too heavy fertilization and too little water. No plant should be fertilized when stressed by heat and dry conditions. Broadleaf weed killers should not be applied to whole lawn unless the weeds are heavy, and should be after fertilization when weeds are growing rapidly. Also not a product to be applied when lawn is stressed. I could not care less what brand name is on the package.

Reply to
Norminn