Ace Hardware

Page 2 of 2
Pete C. wrote:

Yeah, but what about the "immoral" claim?
well any male to male connection is immoral, but i dont' really think it's applicable in electrical cords.

A bit of a stretch (unless you are a lawyer) if you put one in a cord and later someone gets hurt, are you morally responsible for their injury or death?

yes you are, and likely criminally liable too
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Of course not, it wouldn't be your fault that someone isn't as "smart" as you are...

Yes...and you will be subject to a wrongful death suit that you will deal with from prision.
Only idiots use them.
TMT

Uhh, there is no such thing as an area without codes in the US. NEC reigns supreme. If the code says they can't be used, they are illegal to use. Insurance companies have other terms for such stupidity. They are considered a "fire hazard" unless they have passed UL/CSA/CE or some other responsible agency tests, and no agency will authorize such a device. Etc.

That is *not* true. The NEC has no force of law unless and until it is adopted by some jurisdiction as the electrical code for that jurisdiction -- and there are many rural areas which have not done so.

Again, not true. The NEC is far from universal adoption.
Check out Linn County kansas. Or cedar county missouri. No permits required in either of these except for septic systems. So, no permits, means no inspections. And therefore there is no code enforced in these two places.
steve

On Mon, 5 Jan 2009 20:56:12 -0500, "Twayne"

I live in a county that doesn't have "codes". Most of the municipalities do have codes, but the rural areas do not.
On 1/5/2009 12:28 PM HeyBub spake thus:

http://consumerist.com/5123592/ace-hardware-is-tired-of-people-asking-for-double-ended-male-adapters
Naive question: does anyone even make those evil things? (I mean commercially, not homemade.)
David Nebenzahl wrote:

Patent Applied For
"A double male electrical connector is provided to connect the female end of a string of Christmas lights with the female end of an extension cord suitable for plugging into a wall outlet. The inventive connector is particularly useful when Christmas lights are wrapped from the wrong direction so that after wrapping the lights the female end is loose. The connector includes a conventional conductive cord with a first end and a second end. The first end has a first male plug and the second end has a second male plug. Each male plug has a first lead and a second lead for plugging into a two-prong receptacle. In accordance with the invention there is no third grounding lead. In an alternative embodiment the connector has a safety cap on at least one of the male plugs for safety, i.e., when the connector is not in use. In the preferred embodiment the apparatus includes a jacket receiving the connector for axially slidable use so that both male plugs cannot both be simultaneously exposed."
http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-bool.html&r=1&f=G&lP&co1=AND&d=PG01&s1 798123&OS798123&RS798123
Click on "Images" at the bottom to see the item
On 1/5/2009 6:55 PM HeyBub spake thus:

[snip patent synopsis]

http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-bool.html&r=1&f=G&lP&co1=AND&d=PG01&s1 798123&OS798123&RS798123
OK, so someone patented it: still doesn't answer my question. Does anyone actually *make* the damned things?

http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-bool.html&r=1&f=G&lP&co1=AND&d=PG01&s1 798123&OS798123&RS798123
Does it inclode a Cap for the male plug at the other end?
Bob F wrote:

A condom? I don't think so.

http://consumerist.com/5123592/ace-hardware-is-tired-of-people-asking-for-double-ended-male-adapters
About a dozen years ago when I was working at Radio Shack (I was a bored retiree looking for something that would get me out of the house) a woman came in looking for something like that. She assured me that the guy at Home Depot said we had them.
It makes me nostalgic. We should have kept some in stock. Next to the boxes of spots for the spot welder.
We also did not have buckets of steam, ac batteries or left handed monkey wrenches.
Charlie
On 1/5/2009 7:09 PM Charlie spake thus:

But you did keep the round tuits in stock, right?

My grandmother had an extension cord with plugs on both ends, under the living room table and sofa. I think I got a shock from it once when I was about 10, when my leg hit it. That was when I noticed it. I know she didn't make it. Maybe my grandfather did, but I don't know why. Even at age 10, I thought it strange, but I didn't like to complain.

oh, that's very *shocking*.
On 1/5/2009 8:34 PM RobertPatrick spake thus:

I think it's simply reVOLTing.