accoridan door for bathroom

Anyone replace a bathroom door with one of those accordian types? I've just finished remodeling one of my 2 smallish 6 x 10 bathrooms and it's so roomy without the door that I'd like to install one of those accoridan type doors instead.

Sound retention is not really an issue as I'm older and live alone. But I'd like to hear from anyone that's tried them first..? thanks..

Reply to
in2-dadark

Haven't seen one of those on a bathroom door since the mid-60s, on an old family house. (actually it was the mudroom/laundry, but there was a toilet and sink in there as well.) It was one of the plastic-covered ones, not the ones with the finger-pincher panels. Squeaked and got stuck and off-track a lot, as I recall. I'd worry about so many moving parts in a humid environment, unless modern ones are all plastic inside.

I live alone as well- only close the door to shower, so I won't freeze, and to keep the shower curtain from trying to meld with me.

Thought about a center-opening door? (Can't remember the proper name this second.)

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote in news:21892-493DD733-1903@storefull-

3273.bay.webtv.net:

I put one in between a couple of rooms. Picked it up at HD I think. Worked OK for the year I had it. Pretty much it's just a visual barrier. Can't exactly recall but I think there was a track to be mounted above and one on the side with wood screws.

The doorway was 36" wide so there was plenty of room to pass while it was open. The open accordian of course takes up some of the door opening width. If you have a very narrow doorway, it could be an issue.

Reply to
Red Green

I put one on my sister's bedroom. Wouldn't do it again - too flimsy. A bifold door is a better solution. Takes up about the same space open.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

I would also vote for a bifold door. They can be cheap or expensive.

Reply to
hrhofmann

If you feel like tinkering, and have the proper geometry, a pocket door might be just the ticket.

As for living alone, you never know when some lady might want to stay over. Best to bear the needs of the distaff side in mind.

Reply to
HeyBub

On Mon 08 Dec 2008 07:49:53p, aemeijers told us...

French doors or a bi-fold door would be a great space saver. Either would look better than an accordion door and would probably be more durable and trouble-free.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

Hi, If possible, pocket door.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I was going to say that the vinyl ones I've used were old, but maybe even when new they were hard to close and sprang back open if not latched.

But you probably don't even close the door when you're home alone, right? I don't. So that wouldn't matter.

They're probably better now than they used to be anyhow.

A "friend" of mine had a home built to order, so to speak, from already used pre-designed blue-prints that she and her husband could modify to suit themselves. They build the powder room, right off the entry hall, so the door opened into the powder room, and when one entered, the door was between him and the toilet, and there was no way to close the door without leaving the room!!!

Reply to
mm

On Mon 08 Dec 2008 09:53:18p, Tony Hwang told us...

Yes, that would be ideal, but not always easy to add to existing construction.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

Be sure to get French doors with the windows in them. Very popular for avant garde bathrooms.

Reply to
mm

I mean the contractors built it that way.

They didn't like it and made them redo it so the door opened out.

Reply to
mm

Hi, Serious oversight, even mistake. Powder room was too small! Probably your friend did not have enough experience having a house built. I had 6 house custom built in my life time from our idea. Nothing like that ever happened to us. Could blame the builder, he should point out something like that instead of just following the blue print.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

On Mon 08 Dec 2008 11:28:16p, mm told us...

Actually, you could use patterned (obscure) or frosted glass without a problem.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

They stick, dont operate well and are noisy that I got from HD.

Reply to
ransley

I forgot to say that the blueprints showed the door opening out, into the hall. They just didn't build it that way.

Reply to
mm

Hmmmm. That is odd to me. We never had a bathroom door opening outwaed. Our present house has 4 bathrooms, all doors open inward.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

That's because you have ample bathroom space. For teeny loos, there may not be room for a door.

Think airplane lavatory or Porta-Potty.

Reply to
HeyBub

They work fine. My father used one for about 10 yrs w/o ANY problems.

Reply to
Ron

Be aware that the accordian door, when folded makes the doorway opening several inches narrower. That may or may not be an issue now, but as you get older, it might.

Reply to
salty