Accidental use of water and water company?

Read my thread. I said the landlord should fix the water heater. Read my thread where I said I kept an emergency fund for major things like AC, water heater .... meaning things essential to a tenants well being. So don't give me a phriggn lecture, as I may day dream.

Anyway the person billed should pay the bill. No claim for property damage from the tenant? No the sump pump worked, so get a date.

You may be this tenant, so back off if you think I will sign-off on a way out of a water bill or the landlord's responsibility.

Oren

Reply to
Oren

I think YOU should pay for all this misery. It's clear that you did not make a strong enough effort to make your friend take your warnings seriously. You really failed badly, and just look at the result. While you are at it, I think you should apologize to the landlord for not notifying him of this clear danger before disaster struck.

CWM

Reply to
Charlie Morgan

Still don't like answers you get, so you must attack. Tell us the tenant's responsibility in this case.

The court has to WIND 'em up. Go ahead take up your friend's cause. You may be his best advice, that he did not take before.

The builder planted the tree at or near the water line and was under warranty, not like a 23 yo water heater..........

Oren

Reply to
Oren

Possibly the water company was sending out estimated usage bills which were low and then finally got around to actually reading the meters??

lee

Reply to
lee houston

Four female visitors for a week?

Reply to
HeyBub

No, I'm more interested in who is legally responsible. I see small claims cases regularly where a water or sewer pipe breaks, damages tenants property and the landlord winds up having to pay. This seems very similar.

As for who knows what, first, all I gave was my opinion. There is nothing to say that my opinion or advice was right. I'm no plumber or home inspector. It's also clear the landlord knew how old the water heater was, because she has owned it the whole time.

Why should the landlord be thanked for having a working sump pump, which the basement requires to begin with to keep it dry?

Reply to
trader4

The tenant's responsibility for what? The landlord knew how old the water heater was. The condo passed a CO inspection in Dec. What more do you want? Just because I gave an opinion, that now turned out to be right, that means the landlord has no responsibility?

As for attacking, call it what you want. But when a water heater bursts and you say:

"I think the landlord should fix the water heater as he has a vested interest keeping property in good shape."

I think it pretty much shows where you're coming from. Most reasonable people would say the landlord must replace the water heater because the landlord is responsible for it as a most basic part of the rental contract.

Whether the water heater had a warranty or not is irrelevant as far as damages go. And I've never seen a home warranty that includes coverage for paying for water or gas that was billed as a result of a leak. The fact that the builder who paid for the repair and the lost water, planted a tree nearby that contributed to the problem seems pretty similar to a landlord choosing to continue using a 23 year old gas water heater.

So, I'd say your example does prove that in at least some of these cases, someone other than the homeowner/tenant does pay for the lost water. We've also seen that others have reported utilities cutting breaks to help as well.

Reply to
trader4

More likely they misread the meter. Had that happen several times on electric meters where they would misread an upper digit. Had to call in corrected readings. Even if I didn't call in corrected readings it would be corrected at the next proper reading since it's a continuous count, not a monthly reset. The bills after that 15,000 gallons were likely not "normal", but rather "minimum" charges that showed little or no water use, just the base charge.

In my case anything from 2,000 gal down is the base charge. I did once blow a 3/4" fitting past the meter and it dumped about 12,000 gal before I found and fixed it. The lawn was nice and green for a while in the area sloping downhill from the meter pit.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

Your roof is in very bad shape and so is your furnace. That is my opinion, for which I have I have no qualifications as an expert. Now you must replace it immediately. Do it now!

Reply to
trader4

Was the week worth it?

Bob

Reply to
Bob

My utility charge for sewage based on the winter water usage rate.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Actually, I just paid for an inspection on a property I own but do not occupy. Among other items, it calls for replacing not just one furnace, but also the boiler in the other wing of the house. This is a single family residence of about 5000 sf. with two wings. One half forced air and the other baseboard hot water.

The roof is also in bad shape and will cost about $75k - $100k to correct.

Meanwhile, I think you should stop being such a busy-body. Your friend should sort out his own problems. You have already demonstrated that he doesn't value your opinion, anyway. Why are you still trying to insert yourself in the situation? Time to butt-out ...if you are smart.

CWM

Reply to
Charlie Morgan

Since when is asking for what experience others have had in similar situations being a busy-body? Isn't that what this newsgroup is about? Apparently it interests you enough to keep posting, even when you have no direct experience to contibute.

Your friend should

Reply to
trader4

Excuse me? It seems that you asked a question and were only interested in answers that agreed with what you had already decided. Add to that, that you are not even a legitimate party to the issue, and we are left with the reality that you are simply a meddler.

Find a better hobby.

CWM

Reply to
Charlie Morgan

It is the landlords responsibility to maintain the equipment, not the tennant. Did the landlord have in the lease to turn off the water heater when leaving, no he did not, no one does, so why should the tennant be responsible, he is not. Utility companies may or may not understand the landlords problems. Of course all will want the tennant to pay, but its not his equipment that failed, he rents, not owns.

Reply to
m Ransley

An accident? That one chose NOT to repair/replace the heater as required in order to gain money?

Notice I did not say to _save money_, but to gain money.

Saving money is taking care of business when you need to. Repair or replace as needed so you DON'T dump 50,000 gallons of water or replace half the wood in your home.

When one has no intention of being around for when it hits the fan, they _gain money_ by refusing to address things when they should and let the dice roll.

So the dice rolled and this time the house won. The contract between landlord and tenant will show how smart the landlord really is.

-zero

Reply to
zero

Excuse you? No, f*ck you. You called me a busy body and a meddler. Who the hell appointed you to decide who has a legitimate question or what questions are appropriate to the newsgroup.

Reply to
trader4

Dumbski read a post about brain enemas. After 60,000 gallons he's still a dumb ass.

Reply to
TheNIGHTCRAWLER

You have just further proved my point. I'll bet lots of people just can't wait to try and help you the next time you post something here.

CWM

Reply to
Charlie Morgan

I've been a long time poster here and regulars here can reach there own conclusions. I can't recall you ever contributing anything here before you chimed in with total nonsense.

Your very first post in this thread was:

"I think YOU should pay for all this misery. It's clear that you did not make a strong enough effort to make your friend take your warnings seriously. You really failed badly, and just look at the result. While you are at it, I think you should apologize to the landlord for not notifying him of this clear danger before disaster struck. "

Now, how stupid was that? I replied trying to dismiss it as a possible joke, by saying your roof and furnace are shot, you should go replace them. As if anyone seriously expects parties that are not even qualified experts and are 3 times removed to start giving unsolicited advice to a landlord that they don't know.

So then you chime back with the state of your roof, so obviously that went right over your head. And then you tell me I'm a busy-body and meddler, for asking a perfectly legitimate question, as if someone appointed you moderator.

So, yeah, f*ck off.

Reply to
trader4