Access to the attic and trapping/killing whatevers up there?

Somethings crawling around in the attic. I talked to a couple of exterminators and they said it was probably mice. I heard them running over the bathroom ceiling and they sounded bigger than mice. There is no easy access to the attic. About 100lbs ago I squeezed up there but thats not going to work now. I plan on cutting a hole in my closet ceiling and getting into the attic that way. Once in I can get in there I will have better luck trapping/killing whatever I find. I've long needed access to the attic anyway to do some other work up there I'm hoping to cut a section of the ceiling out from rafter to rafter (about

15") and about 28" wide. I'll attach a frame to the ceiling that overlaps the hole by 1 inch all around. If the ceiling section stays in one piece I can just put in back in place after. I'll place plywood around the hole in the attic to make it easier to climb up ther. Then I have scrap planks to lay out for a crawlway along the rafters. its only about 4 feet high in the center.

Back to the critters.

Do you think a rat glue trap would hold a squirrel? Not knowing whats up there I put one up last night and today it is covered with fur. I think there is one pisses off bald squirrel up there now. looked like way to much fur for a mouse or a rat.

To get the trap up there I attached it to a board. This would have given whatever it was something to push off against. I wonder if it would have worked if the trap wasnt fastened to anything???

(I had hoped it was a mouse)

There are to many squirrels around anyway, the herd needs thinning. Last year one chewed a perfecr 2.5" hole through a kitchen screen and got into the bread and other food in the kitchen....

Looked into a bb gun but it would cost $150 to take firearms classes to get an FID card.

I have a catch and release trap that I'll try first once I get up there.

I'd appreciate any tips reguarding my attic access and the rodent problem

Thanks

Pops

Reply to
Steve

You mean you can't tell the difference between squirrel and rat fur by

*looking* ?
Reply to
Doug Miller

I see the hole by the gutters. I have to get a ladder to inspect closer.

Should I close the hole first and then trap them?

Pop

Reply to
Steve

  1. It may not be a rodent. Many people store their crazy aunt in the attic.
  2. I divine from various trace bits, that you're in the Boston area. From what I understand, it will take somewhere between forever and never to get a FID card. Then you've got to apply to actually BUY a weapon.
  3. You've also got to have a hunting license for squirrel. In Massachusetts, Eastern zone, the season is October 13th to January 2nd.
  4. The good news is this: Inasmuch as squirrels are game animals, the normal exclusion by your homeowner's insurance regarding damage by vermin is not applicable. That is, if the squirrels gnaw thru the wiring and that starts a fire which burns down your house, you're covered.
  5. For mice, and some rats and often an attic-bound squirrel, think cat. You can even borrow a feline.

As an aside, I'm in Houston. We have no gun registration laws in Texas nor are there any "educational" requirements for purchasing or owning a gun. For private sales, give 'em the money, take the gun. Everybody's happy (except maybe the squirrel). For about the same amount of money for an FID where you are, you can get a concealed handgun license in Texas. Then, no matter where Mr. Squirrel might be, you can pop him off (assuming you think Mr Squirrel's about to kill you or inflict grievous bodily harm).

Reply to
HeyBub

No experience but I'd guess I would see longer fur from the tail of the squirrel? Not sure if the body hair is that different?

I havent examined them up close.

Quite sure its a squirrel though

pop

Reply to
Steve

Mice do that, too. We used to have crazy Aunt Minnie in our attic.

Remember that when guns are illegal, only squirrels will have guns.

Reply to
mm

The squirrel will be a more coarse grayish to red colored, rat will probably be gray to white.

Lar

Reply to
Lar

Get rid of the critter first. With squirrels if you patch the hole more than likely they will move over a few inches and chew through a new opening in sound wood.

Lar

Reply to
Lar

Stuff a cat up through the hole for the night

Reply to
Jimi

I'd be leery of sticking my head up in that hole. rats have been known to attack... they can gnaw a nose clean off in no time at all!

Reply to
longshot

i use havahart box traps to get squirrels, just put some corn in it or peanut butter,then relocate the demon.. for rats/mice i use decon bait.. for snakes i use mothballs.... lucas

ds549

Yes but here in the great state of Massachusetts I can marry another guy!

(I gotta get outof this state)

Pop

Reply to
comcastss news groups