Accelerate decomposition of small tree stump

Page 1 of 2
I took down some saplings last year (about 2-3" diameter) that were on a relatively steep hill in our front yard.
Is there any simple/cheap way to speed their decomposition? It probably doesn't pay to rent a shredder plus it would be difficult to manouvre it in the hilly area. I had heard in the past of chemicals that are drilled into the trunk. I'm looking for something readily available that is faster than natural decomposition.

Drill holes and fill with fertilizer.

Saltpeter works good too. Its a strong oxidizer that will make it rot. They use to sell it and potasium nitrate as stump remover.
Jimmie
Is that still available?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

I used to be able to buy jars of powdered saltpeter in drugstores.
We used to hear that they mixed it with food in prisons to curtail the inmates libidos, but that story may be rot.
As kids, we used to make "fuses" by soaking thick string in a concentrated saltpeter and water solution and then letting it dry out.
If you pour powdered saltpeter into bored holes in the stump and let the rain soak it into the stump wood, repeating that a few times over several months, you'll turn the wood into a very easily combusted material.
If you then pour a bit of charcoal lighter on the stump and set it afire, the stump wood will burn it's way right into the ground.
A garden hose and reasonable caution should always be on hand when you start the burning.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

Ask your local butcher shop.

Or weed and root killer.
I've heard of using powdered milk, but I've not tried it. The one stump I took out, used a sawzall, and a lot of blades.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
blueman wrote:

Drill holes and fill with a high nitrogen (first of the three numbers is much larger than the other two) fertilizer.

Just did that... How long does it take to have a noticeable effect? How long till it is mostly complete? Days? Weeks? Months? Years?
writes:

I had a hack berry tree (soft wood) with about a 14" base and multiple stumps from that. I built a flower box over it out of untreated 2x pine. We fed the flowers a lot of rapid grow and by the time the flower box rotted the stumps were also. Estimated 4 years.
All you need is a high nitrogen fertilizer. Try to buy to ammonium nitrate (pure nitrogen) might be a problem these days if you aren't a farmer. The super green lawn products are about the same content at 29-0-10.
Keep it moist and it will rot faster.
--
Colbyt

No idea. I have read that placing plastic over the area will accelerate the process.

Buy one of these http://www.weedwrench.com /

7 minutes.

2-3" in diameter? Really- *inches*? 5 minutes with a hand axe should release the roots and you toss them in the trash. I keep an axe for just such jobs. I quick-sharpen it on a grinder and don't worry about chipping it on rocks.
Jim

Buy yourself a Grub Hoe and dig them out...Stumps that small will be pretty easy...

I misspoke. Trees are more like 8" diameter

What i do is drill a 12" deep hole in the trunk with a 1/2" bit, and fill it with gasoline.