AC/Unit how big to go?

It is really strange I have watched hundreds of homes being sold & improved for sale & it is extremely rare to see or hear anything about the central air conditioning & heating system. That is one of the most important things to know about, yet you see or hear zip about them! Learn a little about what you might be buying.

Heating & Air that is not operating properly can cost you a fortune, & for a lot of reasons a high percentage of central ACs don't operate efficiently!

- udarrell

Reply to
udarrell

Bullshit, it's all in the marketing.

Reply to
<kjpro

I like placing a large fan just in front of the A/C.

What advantages? Off the top of my head (or maybe they&#39;re out of my hat):

. the a/c&#39;s own fan doesn&#39;t/can&#39;t shoot the air very far away. With a fan, angled towards one side of the room, maybe also up towards the ceiling, a bit, shoots the cool air much farther into the room.

Plus, the angle starts the air cycling *around* the room.

. Benefit of that: without extra fan, cold air bunches up near the a/c. Thermostat, "thinking" that the whole room is of that cold temperature, shuts off the a/c -- while rest of room, ceiling, etc has likely seen NO cool air yet.

Thus a/c turns off way too soon, humidity stays in the air, to say nothing of the heat not being sucked out the window.

Perhaps-useful mental model:

Consider an a/c that&#39;s so much too small that more heat keeps coming in through the walls, windows, leaks, etc, than the a/c takes out. Result: room keeps getting hotter, until at some higher temperature equilibrium is reached, and it shuts off.

David

Reply to
David Combs

If you are using a room AC or a mini-ductless AC by using 20" vertically adjustable fans (Wind Machine 3300) you can cool a lot larger area. I cool 3 rooms & a hallway in an older 1937 home that is over 850-sq.ft with a Half-Ton mere 6,000-BTUH room AC in 104 Heat indexes.

Somebody is really nuts to be using 9-Tons to cool a mere 2800-sq.ft home. What would an accurate Manual J heat-gain calc call for, 2.5 to 3.5-Ton? Without sufficient runtime, - as the sensible temperature drops the percent of Relative Humidity rises causing a clammy mold spore producing environment!

It appears he is using at least one 5-Ton & perhaps a 4-Ton. Both require a lot of airflow to work properly, the 5-Ton airflow level is not easy to achieve in a residential system.

udarrell

Reply to
udarrell