AC smell

How can I clean a window AC unit that truly stinks? I am a smoker and over time I think that has contributed. It is in my kitchen so it gets the cooking odors also. It is a small 8,000 BTU unit. The filter is clean.
Thanks!
Add pictures here
✖

Get a new AC unit and quit smoking, which is the only way to get rid of the stench.
Add pictures here
✖

Not the only way, smoke outside.
Cheri
Add pictures here
✖
Take the AC outside, take the metal cover off, and clean with alki-foam. Rinse with garden hose.
I've cleaned several AC that were owned by smokers, and that does a good job.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Can I get the whole thing wet? That was my hesitation.
Add pictures here
✖
Thomas wrote:

Yes. Or mostly. Avoid the electrical areas.
Oh, and unplug it first.
Add pictures here
✖
I think that's closer to "NO". No, you should not get the whole thing wet.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Okay, don't wet the electrical parts. Or, if you do, let it dry thoroughly. I've put chandeliers in the dishwasher, hosed off cat pee from motherboards, and even put water in a steam iron with no untoward effects.
If the thing is unusable as it is, what's the downside?
Add pictures here
✖
You're right, that a broken whatever, it's garbage as it is. I suspect that drying things off is the important part.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Chew tobacco instead, it's much more of a rush. :-)
Lewis.
*****
Add pictures here
✖