AC smell

How can I clean a window AC unit that truly stinks? I am a smoker and over time I think that has contributed. It is in my kitchen so it gets the cooking odors also. It is a small 8,000 BTU unit. The filter is clean.

Thanks!

Reply to
Thomas

Get a new AC unit and quit smoking, which is the only way to get rid of the stench.

Not the only way, smoke outside.

Cheri

Reply to
Cheri

Take the AC outside, take the metal cover off, and clean with alki-foam. Rinse with garden hose.

I've cleaned several AC that were owned by smokers, and that does a good job.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Can I get the whole thing wet? That was my hesitation.

Reply to
Thomas

Chew tobacco instead, it's much more of a rush. :-)

Lewis.

*****
Reply to
ru4linux2

Yes. Or mostly. Avoid the electrical areas.

Oh, and unplug it first.

Reply to
HeyBub

No, you should not get the whole thing wet. That will cause electrical short circuits, and other problems.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I think that's closer to "NO". No, you should not get the whole thing wet.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Okay, don't wet the electrical parts. Or, if you do, let it dry thoroughly. I've put chandeliers in the dishwasher, hosed off cat pee from motherboards, and even put water in a steam iron with no untoward effects.

If the thing is unusable as it is, what's the downside?

Reply to
HeyBub

You're right, that a broken whatever, it's garbage as it is. I suspect that drying things off is the important part.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon