AC ~ Repair

My home AC (central air) decided it wasn't going to work anymore.. Now, I am not a "Jack-of-all-trades" so I am a little lost on how to fix the problem. My Thermostat is kicking on, but the unit fails to do the same. It is an electric unit. All im asking right now, is can someone give me a checklist of the simple fixes just to get me started... I've already checked the breaker and seems fine. On the unit itself, there is two breakers; one was on, the other one seemed like it wasn't even hooked up to something..it was just sitting there wobbly-like ... (possible culprit?)
please help...
--
metallifan9

metallifan9 wrote:

Do you have some basic test equpment such as a VOM (multimeter)?
Without one there is little you can do to accurately troubleshoot the system. Time to call a professional.
* Power to the air handler and or furnace * Power to the condensing unit * 24 VAC signal to contactor
Check each of these, each is a common problem.
--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.