AC problems - Leaking Evaporator Coils

Hi:

I have a 8 year old York AC unit (10 SEER) in my house. Last week when I strated it up, there was no cold air. I had a tech come in early this morning and he found no freon pressure in the system. He pumped some freon and used a leak detector to determine leak (s) at the evaporator coil. There was a lot of rusting around the leak(s) so he said that an attempt to fix it could backfire. I asked him about the solutions to this problem and he proposed following

Option 1) Charge the system and live through this summer - runs the risk of recharging depending upon the rate of leak. Price estimate $100

Option 2) There is a lot of rust around evaporator coil so replace the evaporator coil. Since the requirements have changed, he suggested that replacing coil will also mean replacing the condensor unit (both

13 SEER) to ensure compatability. Price estimate ~$3000 for parts and labor.

Option 3) This evenig I called an authorized York dealer and he said that they still can replace the 10 SEER evaporator coil for a price of ~1000 (not to exceed $1200) part and labor. They will not sell the coil seprately (I guess warranty issues??). Since the furnace and coil is located in the attaic, he said that this job would involve 4-6 hours of labor and following steps a) recovery of freon from the system b) Replacement of evaporator coil c) leak testing and evacuation d) Freon charge and testing The new evaporator coil will come with 5-years warranty and if I want to have it replaced, he will come out to take measurements. The coil is likely to be a stock item or can be ordered and received in a couple of days.

I am reluctant to go with option 1 of freon charge as it is a environmental and health hazard. So far option 3 seems the best as it is cheaper and fixes the problem that needs to be fixed. However, the life of the condensor does bring up some questions i.e. has the low freon pressure caused some damege? How long would a condensor unit last? If the condensor unit breaks down, would that mean replacement of the evaporator coil again as the new standars have jumped to 13 SEER?

I was wondering if the experts on this forum can comment on the pricing of these options and offer advice on the options/concerns to deal with this issue.

Thanks

Sam

Reply to
sushil_rijhwani

Replace the evaporator unless you have reason to believe there is some existing problem with the compressor.

The compressor should be protected against refrigerant loss.

Shop around. $1200 is way too high. Look up retail evaporator prices at grainger.com and see how much profit they are making on a few hours work. These guys use licensing and collusion to avoid competition and rig prices, and then convince themselves they are worth it so they can sleep at night.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Depending on a number of other factors, a 13-SEER coil with a TXV refrigerant control would probably work. It will hold more refrigerant and require more space. Do NOT take my advice, ask every contractor in your area you can about the best options!

- udarrell

Reply to
udarrell

You say not to take your advice, but then you advise him to ask contractors. Doesn't that create a conundrum?

Reply to
mm

What does rust have to do with anything? Aluminum does not rust, copper does not rust. What is rusting? Certainly not the coil. Not to say there isn't a leak in the coil, but I've never seen a rusted aluminum or copper coil.

I'd probably go with option #3

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Well, maybe, however, I want him to get the best advice concerning the best options from a local contractor that he can use.

- udarrell

udarrell

However, the : life of the condensor does bring up some questions i.e. has the low : freon pressure caused some damege? CY: Probably not.

How long would a condensor unit : last?

CY: Typically twenty years.

If the condensor unit breaks down, would that mean replacement : of the evaporator coil again as the new standars have jumped to

13 : SEER?

CY: yes, but that's not really likely.

: : I was wondering if the experts on this forum can comment on the : pricing of these options and offer advice on the options/concerns to : deal with this issue.

CY: Eight years is pretty young for a condensor. I'd suggest the

10 seer coil, and have the tech take the cover off the outdoor unit and clean it with water and chemicals to get the dust out. You aren't likely to save two grand in electric over the next few years.

: : Thanks : : Sam :

Reply to
Stormin Mormon