AC polarity - Lamp rewiring

I'm looking for information on how to properly rewire a household floor lamp, using a typical 120/60 AC extension cord.
The extension cord plug has a wide blade and a narrower blade. The plastic coverings of the cord strands are fused together, but each strand covering has a slightly different shape. The lamp socket has a silver-coloured screw and a brass screw.
Can anyone tell me which strand covering shape should be fastened to which socket screw?
Thanks in advance for your helpful replies.
Darro
Darro wrote:

The wide blade is the neutral and gets hooked to the silver screw, normally.
The cord shape that you've noticed usually takes the form of a raised ridge or coloured stripe on the neutral side.
Verify that is is the silver screw that connects to the threaded socket, by visual inspection or an ohmmeter.
Likewise the yellow brass screw should connect to the small button in the base of the socket (when the switch is on, of course). Verify that too.
If the lamp base does have its cardboard or plastic covering intact and in good shape, replace it too.
The next question you should ask is whether a typical extension cord is suitable for rewiring a lamp, specifically whether the insulation can take the heat being so close to the lamp. It certainly isn't its intended use. I don't know the answer. If I were doing it I'd find a cord meant for that purpose.
Chip C
It's my understanding that the smaller blade is "hot" and should go to the switch. So that when the switch is off, the socket is not hot.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

OP now?
To OP: Small blade on plug is hot side goes to unmarked side of cable *note NOT "extention cord" which goes to brass screw which is switched side of socket - little button in bottom. Of course one could always Google "lamp wiring" but I guess it's just easier to ask, then to get a nice little very exacting animated course on how to do it.
--
Tekkie