AC low freon?

Page 2 of 2

On 7/30/2010 4:14 PM, ransley wrote:

Hot weather is a bear that trumps everything else.
TDD
Add pictures here
✖
Pete C. wrote:

But there's bargains to be had.
My ten-year-old Trane bellied up and washed ashore during hurricane Yikes. My son has a neighbor (Guatemalan if that makes any difference) who moonlights off the books. Being in the business, he found a two-year old condensing unit, brought it over at 8:00 p.m., installed the unit (including brazing a couple of joints), evacuated (I guess sort of) the system, and recharged it. He was done by 10:00 p.m. and I was out $700.
Been working swell these two years.
It might pay to, um, "inquire" around. (I'm in Houston if you want my tech's name...)
Add pictures here
✖
In many cases, it's not necessary to use the recovery machine. If the leak is on the low side, it's possible to pump the refrigerant into the condensor, and keep it captive, there.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

too much money, a rip off, a friend could do it for 200 he said but he is in another state.
Add pictures here
✖
I could do it for $190, but I'm in another state.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
✖
---
Add pictures here
✖
State of confusion, I am!
Your prices sound reasonable. I was having a sale, but not having any product in stock. No rain checks!
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Man, at least this one, should always have one cup of coffee before posting anything!
You can still buy replacement evap coils. It is the condenser units you can not buy.
Sounds like the OP won the lottery if that is the only leak in the system. I have experienced to evap coil failures on two 1995 systems about 2 years apart.
Also replaced the evap coil in my 1996 Nissan twice now. I am of the opinion that the evap coil making process has gone way downhill in the last 20 years.
--
Colbyt
✖

I hope its the only leak, its a big one though, I hope I end up lucky or its no Ac for the rest of the year.
Add pictures here
✖
---
Add pictures here
✖
On 7/30/2010 7:00 AM, ransley wrote:

It could be something as simple as leaking valve cores in the Schrader service valves. I've seen leaks develop years later because the valve cores were not tightened at the factory or the installation tech didn't tighten the cores enough when reinstalling them. Tiny leaks can be handled by a product I've had good luck with manufactured by Cliplight called SUPER SEAL HVACR. It's a stop leak for AC systems.
http://www.cliplight.com/hvacr/products.php?catID '&upperCatID TDD
Add pictures here
✖

Professional opinions are mixed on "sealers". Many techs shy away from them.
Add pictures here
✖
On 7/30/2010 9:17 AM, jamesgangnc wrote:

Many techs don't know how to properly use them and like most folks are afraid of something different. I most definitely don't push sealers as a cure all and prefer brazing up a hole in a system but some tiny leaks respond very well to the sealer I've used. I'm also fond of UV florescent dye for finding tiny leaks. I've used it to find pinhole sized leaks in many refrigeration and AC systems.
TDD
Add pictures here
✖
---
Add pictures here
✖
On 7/31/2010 1:19 PM, Grumpy wrote:

I can find most leaks with the Mark 1 Eyeball and E240/ns64 Ear. I have not only the UV dye but ultrasonic leak detectors and sniffers. Another item I use is dry nitrogen. I will break down an exasperating system into zones, seal them off, pressurize them and look for a pressure drop. When me and my buddy install an AC system in a house that won't be occupied for a while, we don't install the condenser but pressurize the line set connected to the evaporator with N2 and leave it. If the pressure drops or vanishes a week later, we know a carpenter put a nail through the line set.
TDD
Add pictures here
✖

The way I hear it:
Leaks big enough to find with "sniffers" and fluorescent/"UV" leak detection are worth fixing in ways that target them - brazing or whatever along those lines.
Leaks smaller than that appear to me to deserve Cliplight's "Super Seal".
Keep in mind that Cliplight sells not only "Super Seal", but also dyes, dye injectors, lights, and kits for fluorescent/"UV" leak detection.
As a result, it appears to me that Cliplight has a reasonable rate of marketing their "Super Seal" for usage when that is appropriate. That is heavily-in-my-mind because they also sell means to find leaks worth fixing more directly than with application of their "Super Seal". And I have yet to hear of Cliplight selling braze, torches, torch hoses, torch fuel or oxygen or tanks thereof, although they do sell the most convenient and durable torch ignitor that I ever saw ("SparkKey" IIRC, and I have one.) But as much as they sell leak detection dyes, lights, and dye injectors as well as torch ignitors, I seem to think that they want their customers to target leaks worth finding and brazing or otherwise repairing without their "Super Seal" when such leaks are big enough to be worth repairing more directly than with usage of their "Super Seal". And that they promote usage of their "Super Seal" mainly to plug smaller leaks that are too small to be worth individually both detecting and repairing by leak-site-specific means.

✖