AC/Heating Checkups

heybub, When preventative maintenance is done, it allows a trained technician (trained is key word) to find problems that can cost you loads of money. Something as simple as a loose connector on the compressor terminal pins can burn the pin off and require the replacement of a compressor. Totally unnecessary in my mind but I see it lots of times. Sometimes you can use a terminal kit and repair it but other times not. Weak dual run capacitors can cause compressor failures too. Again, its a simple check and fix and a whole lot less expensive than a compressor. Sometimes the tech may not find a thing and give you a clean bill of health. Horray for you. Its like almost any other mechanical device. You cant let them run until they quit because it gets expensive. Read your installation and operation/service manual to see what is recommended. You have to weigh the pros and cons yourself. One thing I wouldnt do is listen to the "tight-ass nigar rig king" himself, ransley. He has proven time and time again that he doesnt have a clue about what he speaks. Im sure a service person of any type hasnt seen the inside of his trailer in the last 10 years. Bubba
I think it's best to get the AC clean and check in the spring, right when the warm weather starts, but before it's hot. That way the guy can check with fairly typical outdoor temperatures.
Many units have a shut down switch in case of low freon. You should also notice the lack of cooling. Many Trane units I've serviced, it's hard to tell if the outdoor unit needs cleaning. Ask them to be sure to spray on the cleaning chemicals, let them soak, and rinse off with the garden hose. Even if it "looks clean".
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus