AC Filter Recommendation

There are many AC filters now on the market, from washable filter around $30 to the special disposable around $9.99 down to the cheap blue stuff around $3.00. I remember last time I bought a middle of the road 20x20x1 filter it was priced around $3.99 for one and $9.99 for a three pack. Today I was at HD and it is now $7.99 a piece? What happened? Where did the medium priced AC filter go? Which one gives the best bang for the buck?

MC

Reply to
miamicuse

Easy the best value for the buck $0.57 blue fiberglass filter. For the price you can not beat it.

Better filter helps somewhat with allergies and reduces dust.

Rating gives you size of particles removed. Higher rating also makes blower motor work harder (increases chance of failure). So unless you really need that 12+ rating don't buy those....

Corporate proffits.

Reply to
Brian

Consumer Reports did a report on air filters a while back, which included whole house filters, and these disposable filters. Search them out if you're interested.

Reply to
thetiler

Use the filter that makes sense for your circumstances.

I cannot live with a el cheapo blue fiberglass filter, whether it cost $0.57 or $1.29 I am mold spore sensitive and these simply do not trap enough dust and mold to keep my body peaceful.

At a minimum, I want a Merv 8 pleated filter. Yes, they place an additional load on the fan. However, the filter frame in my unit was changed out from a 16x20 to a 20x25 to partially compensate.

Additionally, pleated media filters are available in 4 inch depths to fit inside standard filter frames. Honeywell filters use this media. You won't find these in stores, you'll have to find a Honeywell dealer to buy them from, or find them online. These are also Merv 8 and Merv

10 filters. A 4 inch deep pleated filter will come close to the fan loading of a el cheapo fiberglass filter, especially in the first 30 days. When you change them out, every 90-180 days, htey will be HEAVY with all the dirt collected.
Reply to
Robert Gammon

I remember when gasoline was $0.39 a gallon. What happened? Where did that low price go? Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Best Value? Dont think so. Those blue filters only stop golf balls and leaves. Almost no protection at all for your furnace. Not to mention that it does absolutely nothing for your indoor air quality. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba