AC evaporator clogged fins

This conversation seems to be getting hot... can somebody turn the AC on? :-)

I suspect that might have happened during the "preventive maintenance". Although, as you said, we cannot know for sure what was the condition of the coil before the failure and what exactly happened.

I let the coil warm up before the cleaning, so the "hard layer" is not ice. It is definitely some form of dirt.

That would be interesting to see. Did pressure washing itself do physical damage to the coil?

Anyway, I have nearly 1/4 of the evaporator cleaned now. The AC is operating satisfactory - although I'm sure that my power is a little higher than it should be. I think I will stop at this point and see what happens. Thanks for all the opinions.

With best regards, CitizenOfDreams.

Reply to
Citizen of Dreams

Michael S. Trachtenberg posted for all of us....

Hahahahahaha DisasterDave musta worked on this, what a putz.

Reply to
Tekkie

Have to admit at least one website agrees with him on the evaporator:

Only time I've heard of this being done is as a temporary fix for dirty sock syndrome.

Reply to
Michael S. Trachtenberg

Ok thats ONE not totaly wrong out of one hundred,. But new foaming cleaners probably do just as good., at half the price. And he is now spouting off on using Castrol Tire cleaner which wont kill mold and may most likely damage Aluminum that is unsealed as AC coils are. The ::: " Dave Index" ::: still 2 out of 100

Reply to
m Ransley

Nope,

There is no room for power washing. With good cleaners (not made by Castrol) it is easy to clean with a water hose. That site also recommends bleach in the evaporator drain pan. I read through some of the site and it has some good consumer information, but there are a few things I'd not jump right on as fact.

- Robert

Reply to
American Mechanical