AC evaporator clogged fins

Page 2 of 2

Have to admit at least one website agrees with him on the evaporator: http://www.aircoolfl.com/answers/answer27.htm . Only time I've heard of this being done is as a temporary fix for dirty sock syndrome.
Ok thats ONE not totaly wrong out of one hundred,. But new foaming cleaners probably do just as good., at half the price. And he is now spouting off on using Castrol Tire cleaner which wont kill mold and may most likely damage Aluminum that is unsealed as AC coils are. The ::: " Dave Index" ::: still 2 out of 100

Nope,
There is no room for power washing. With good cleaners (not made by Castrol) it is easy to clean with a water hose. That site also recommends bleach in the evaporator drain pan. I read through some of the site and it has some good consumer information, but there are a few things I'd not jump right on as fact.
- Robert

There are several ways to properly clean a coil....most the WRONG ways will simply pack the existing dust, mold and dirt deeper into the coil.. You state its a hard layer...it COULD have been frozen, since you state the airflow was weak...shut down airflow, and you freeze the coil...

No way at all to tell, since you, and we, dont know EXACTLY what he did, or the condition of the coil prior. Hint...Daves idea of a pressurewash is the one single WORST idea to do to the unit. A car wash is even more stupid. If you want to see what happens when some moron does this, let me know as I have pics of a coil we removed recently that someone had done this to....after following the advice off some website on the internet....

This conversation seems to be getting hot... can somebody turn the AC on? :-)

I suspect that might have happened during the "preventive maintenance". Although, as you said, we cannot know for sure what was the condition of the coil before the failure and what exactly happened.

I let the coil warm up before the cleaning, so the "hard layer" is not ice. It is definitely some form of dirt.

That would be interesting to see. Did pressure washing itself do physical damage to the coil?
Anyway, I have nearly 1/4 of the evaporator cleaned now. The AC is operating satisfactory - although I'm sure that my power is a little higher than it should be. I think I will stop at this point and see what happens. Thanks for all the opinions.
With best regards, CitizenOfDreams.