AC Ductwork Question

We got a new air conditioning/heat pump system. It was recommended that we get an energy audit from our electric company (free) and they recommended a door blower test. The door blower test is paid half by us, half by power co. One of the things they look for are leaks in the ductwork. Our house was built in 1983. Does the tape they use at the seams just start to deteriorate at some point? My husband thinks its a waste of money to have this done and I don't know....any opinions from people who work with this kind of thing. Thanks.

Reply to
Dottie

I doubt if it is a waste of money, but no one can guarantee it.

There have been and are various types of tape and sealer used on ducts. Some are lucky to last a couple of years and others usually last a life time. I must add that in addition the materials the workmanship is very important as is the design.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

If you are getting the blower door test paid for 50% by the power company, Id strongly suggest you do it. Keep in mind though......... IF you arent interested in saving money or doing the actual "repairs" to stop the air leakage then its a complete waste of time and money. Also, as with any other company or service, its only as good as the company/tech performing it. You might want to do a little research and get some references by the company/s doing it. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

You bought the system, before an audit? And big daddy approved?!

24 years for tape [duct/duck] is a long, long time.

Do the audit. imo No reason not to save dollars.

Reply to
Oren

Dottie;

In the past most approved 'duct tapes' were rubber backed cloth tape. As time passes, the adhesive looses it's ability to "stick" and the seal at the joints is lost.

Currently the industry standard is to use tape which carries a UL-181 approval [printed on the tape backing.] This newer breed of tape adhesive has a much higher degree of quality and longevity. As well, it is recommened that a mechanical restraint [zip tie] be used to keep the joint solid and leak free.

Most homes with older duct systems have a leakage rate of around 30%. If you reduce that rate, the amount of heating and cooling will now be directed into the home where you and your family will benefit.

Good luck.

Reply to
Zyp