AC ducts in attic

Hello everyone:

I am curious how do you check to see if you have Air conditioning leaks in the ducts that are in

the attic? I am thinking about climbing up there and with my hands try to feel for cold air coming

out of the ducts but it is very uncomfortable because lack of room and the high temperatures

(Here in South Florida).

Someone mentioned about using some kind of dye that you'll be able to see easy when it escapes the ducts.

Is there such a thing?

Any help in the subject will be appreciated.

Thanks Lu.

snipped-for-privacy@pipeline.com remove nospam to reply

Reply to
lu

I think that means you have to do it at dawn. Maybe even earlier, if there's enough light not to fall through the ceiling, etc. Of course you can bring a flashlight. I've been to south Florida, but I don't know the weather that well. Maybe starting at dawn will give you enough time.

I'm sure. Most will go into the house, so you'll need something that won't dirty the walls etc. But I'll bet they make something.

Reply to
mm

That's the way you do it. First thing in the morning is probably the best time, heat wise. I understand your problem. We have those 3:12 roofs over on this coast too. There are basically a couple places you find leaks. In the joints between the flex and the boxes and in the corners of the box where they got taped. If you see evidence of rodents you may also get holes eaten in the ducts themselves. Don't use "duct tape" for fixing the boxes, get the silver HVAC tape with the peal off backing. Regular grey duct tape is good for everything but ducts. When you are putting it on use a soft plastic spatula to wipe it down and seal it to the box.

If you find a lot of bad spots it may be best to get a contractor in there for a "mastic job". With electric rares these days the payback could be a few months.

Reply to
gfretwell

If you dont have many inches of insulation on the ducts you will waste even more than a small leak. Feeling for a leak wont be nearly as effective as a chemical Smoke Stick my Ac installer used. You need both, airtight, insulated ducts for efficiency.

Reply to
m Ransley