AC condenser comb

I've actually used a *comb* on automotive radiators with marginal results, but the fins on an a residential AC condenser are much closer together.
They sell the combs for condesners, but do they work?
Here is an example: http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/mtn8300.html
RayV wrote:

comparison to what happens on auto AC coils that such combs are not marketed for residential use.
In addition, many manufacturers use a wavy fin so fin combs will not work at all.

Sort of. They are not miracle workers though. If the fins are bent 90 degrees, it won't pick them up. You'd have to lift them with duck bill pliers, then comb them.
Most important is to get the fins lifted so you get some air flow.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

And I thought my duck bill pliers were only good for pulling staples...

Is there a way to lubricate the fins to make combing them easier. Mine aren't bent 90 degrees, but a lot are smushed together.
Where the lawnmower hit them. (I don't remember ever doing this, but either the previous owner or the kid who mowed my lawn did.)

You can try spraying them with WD-40, but I doubt it will make a difference. When we built coils a few years back, the assembly guys used metal combs with deep (1/2" or so) teeth on them. The comb was brass and used dry. With the deep teeth, you could sort of get under them and lift them by tilting the handle.