Abusive padlock tests

... and bust a window and jump through even faster than that :-)

It always surprises me that people put huge locks on timber structures; no matter how good the lock may be, it surely can't be that difficult to just demolish the surrounding wood to gain access?

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Not everything that gets locked is a building, and no defense is completely impenetrable. You do what you can reasonably do to mitigate risk.

I have the little outboard on my sailboat's dinghy padlocked via a steel cable to the seat of the dinghy. Unless someone arrives at the dock prepared to cut the cable, or break the seat, they will have to take the motor off the dinghy next to mine, that has no lock on it at all.

Same for my bicycle. Even when there is nothing to lock the bike to, just running a cable and lock between the wheels is still a reasonable step to take as a deterrent.

Thieves don't like complications, things that slow them down, or things that attract attention to themselves.

Reply to
salty

Frickin' hot in Vegas right now, and we have to go there this afternoon. But, hey, for around $80 an hour, I just suck it up. I also carry cotton welding caps that I douse in ice water, and cotton Hawaiian print shirts that I dunk in the pool. Stays wet for about an hour. A real shock to the system when you first put the shirt on. Like someone hitting you with a blast of ice water. Works pretty good, though. I have used the wet welder's hat for a long time.

Steve

visit my blog at

watch for the book

Reply to
Steve B

Amateurs do that. Professionals use bump keys and pick locks. Quieter, and no severed arteries.

Steve

visit my blog at

watch for the book

Reply to
Steve B

Correct.

No he doesn't. He has a drawer full of medical instruments.

Probably not (I don't know what you have in your garden shed). You probably have a shed full of tools.

Yes, but....

A truncheon is a deadly weapon per se - a baseball bat is not. A Bowie Knife is a deadly weapon in and of itself without regard to its use - a carving knife is not. A three-foot length of 3/4" wire rope is not a deadly weapon, until you wrap one end with friction tape.

In these cases, the intent of the manufacturer (or modifier) determines the classification. When you USE a tire iron to beat someone it BECOMES a deadly weapon. A pair of brass knuckels is ALWAYS a deadly weapon.

It's a small, but crucial, difference. It is against the law in most jurisdictions to carry a night stick or truncheon in your car or on your person. Carrying a pony-league baseball bat is always legal.

Reply to
HeyBub

The tools used for lock picking have legitimate uses and are not automatically "burglar tools"

Same as a screw driver or crowbar.

In fact, a "slim Jim" used for poping door locks is not automatically a burglar tool either.

Brass knuckles are defined as a weapon by laws.

Reply to
salty

I can drive from one jurisdiction to another jurisdiction (Las Vegas to North Las Vegas), a crowbar in NLV might be called "burglar tools", but in LV it is a tool. The police can size people up pretty fast, in the darkness of night.

Reply to
Oren