Abusive padlock tests

Page 1 of 2

Overall winner: Master
http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/gadgets/tests/can-your-padlock-withstand-a-bullet?click=pm_latest
On 7/7/2010 5:57 AM, HeyBub wrote:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/gadgets/tests/can-your-padlock-withstand-a-bullet?click=pm_latest
My locksmith friends use a circular saw with an abrasive metal cutting blade to remove padlocks. I often use my Dremel tool to do the same thing. Nothing is safe from battery operated cutting tools these days.
TDD

like my uncle says: Locks are only to keep honest people out.
cln wrote:

I say that and I'm not your Uncle... am I?

I can pick a padlock in less than a minute. I also have a pair of bolt cutters that stand 3'6" high. Got them at a police auction. I prefer to carry the pick locks, rather than the bolt cutters. ;-)
Steve
On Wed, 07 Jul 2010 07:08:46 -0500, The Daring Dufas

I have an 18 volt Ryobi rotary tool. With a metal cutoff wheel mounted I can open any padlock about as fast as if I had the key.
On Jul 7, 10:37am, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

I can open a typical padlock with a hammer faster than if I had the key, one-handed. Shackle usually pops right out. -----
- gpsman
On Wed, 7 Jul 2010 11:51:33 -0700 (PDT), gpsman

Collateral damage!
On Wed, 07 Jul 2010 11:51:33 -0700, gpsman wrote:

... and bust a window and jump through even faster than that :-)
It always surprises me that people put huge locks on timber structures; no matter how good the lock may be, it surely can't be that difficult to just demolish the surrounding wood to gain access?
On Thu, 8 Jul 2010 15:33:06 +0000 (UTC), Jules Richardson

Not everything that gets locked is a building, and no defense is completely impenetrable. You do what you can reasonably do to mitigate risk.
I have the little outboard on my sailboat's dinghy padlocked via a steel cable to the seat of the dinghy. Unless someone arrives at the dock prepared to cut the cable, or break the seat, they will have to take the motor off the dinghy next to mine, that has no lock on it at all.
Same for my bicycle. Even when there is nothing to lock the bike to, just running a cable and lock between the wheels is still a reasonable step to take as a deterrent.
Thieves don't like complications, things that slow them down, or things that attract attention to themselves.

Amateurs do that. Professionals use bump keys and pick locks. Quieter, and no severed arteries.
Steve

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/gadgets/tests/can-your-padlock-withstand-a-bullet?click=pm_latest
If the lock is hard to cut, just cut the part is looped through. I needed to get into a room at work that was locked with a padlock that bolt cutters would not cut. Shifted to the soft metal hasp and it took very little effort.
HeyBub wrote:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/gadgets/tests/can-your-padlock-withstand-a-bullet?click=pm_latest

I'm quite surprized. Master Lock the winner?
And Medeco... their Best quality locks for the vending industry, (soda, candy machines), ... are stronger than any others I've ran across. But they do make a cheap version also.

Master Lock has advertised heavily in PM for decades.
My buddy and I shot an expensive Master Lock (non-plate type) with a .44 mag. Couldn't even find the pieces.
Besides, don't need to cut them. Too damn easy just to pick it. Try googling with pick master lock.
nb

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/gadgets/tests/can-your-padlock-withstand-a-bullet?click=pm_latest Why use a gun when this silent way will work?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5trcVcik0A

I have a set of lock picks. Yes, it is this easy. I carry slim jims, too. We have to access areas at times to do our real estate surveys. Pool pump rooms, storage areas, RV parking areas....... lots of places where people think locking it up is sufficient.
We are an agent and assign of the management company, so legally have permission and access to anything on the property. I regularly amaze maintenance personnel and managers. Saves a lot of time for not having to go get keys, or wait days until some ditzy employee can come and open up for you.
I have even opened cars a couple of times for people. I was the best at the Hilton Hotel in Vegas when I parked cars there. Always had people locking themselves out. Made good tips, too when we told them a locksmith would be $100, and usually 4 hours out.
Locks are very easy to defeat, and the newest thing of bumping locks takes two seconds.
Steve

Have you checked your local laws? Here in Florida, regardless of permission or even if you're opening your own house, possession of lock picks is illegal unless you're actually a locksmith... (I don't remember the exact language, but it's pretty restrictive.)
On Wed, 7 Jul 2010 21:08:36 -0700 (PDT), Larry Fishel

It is called 'possession of burglar's tools' in New York.
Here's the wording for FL [all other state on this page; http://www.lockpickguide.com/legalityoflockpicks.html ] "Section 810.06 - Possession of burglary tools. Whoever has in his or her possession any tool, machine, or implement with intent to use the same, or allow the same to be used, to commit any burglary or trespass shall be guilty of a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084. "
Jim

And as I read both of them- you're OK if you have permission to enter the property. [and I think Steve is in UT where there are *no* codes.]
Jim

Almost all our work is done in Nevada. We have had a couple of jobs in Utah, and Arizona.
Steve

-snip-
Sorry 'bout that. I knew it was someplace that was too hot for humans.<g> Once you get south of the Mason/Dixon and west of the Mississippi, they all run together to me.
Jim