ABS pipe joints

I have 1 1/2" ABS coming out of the wall for my bathroom sink drain. I've cut it to what I believe is exactly the length that will allow the P-trap to align with the sink tail piece. Nonetheless, I'd like it check it by slipping it on w/out the solvent first to be sure my cut is right. However, the fit of the P-trap to the wall drain pipe is so tight that I'm afraid I would be able to get it back off if I pushed it all the way on.
So, two questions. First, can I sand down the pipe to get a looser fit, or does it have to be so tight? Second, does the solvent act as a lubricant so it will go on easier with solvent applied?
TIA
Ed

That's possible, but you should be able to free it by twisting. If it is so tight that you couldn't un do it, it probably is tight enough to not leak anyway.

I wouldnt' bother.

Second, does the solvent act as a lubricant so it will go on easier with

The solvent should allow things to slide a bit, just be sure to line everything up before it sets. I usually apply the solvent, slide the parts together, then twist a quarter turn, then back, to help spread the solvent evenly.
Good luck
Dave

You'd get it in about half way, but with the solvent, it'll bottom out. So when you're using the solvent, you may discover that you made things just right, or that you're a little off. If you cut too much off, the joint will accomodate a fair amount, with the solvent, (and the dissolved plastic suspended in the solvent) filling in sufficiently. But if you didn't cut off enough, you're outta luck, at a bad time to discover it. I have done a bit of sanding on the pipe before, to do what you're talking about. But I was very careful to use a considerable amount of solvent on both portions, rotated it a quarter turn then back, and went around the joint with my finger to be sure that there was continuous excess that had been spread around it.

Just want to say that with the help of comments & suggestions here I got it right! Being somewhat nerd-like in nature, I did a full scale, careful drawing of the geometry, took measurements with my vernier calipers and steel scales, and thus determined the exact (well, close) length to cut the wall drain pipe. Applied the cement, slipped on the P-trap elbow with a twist or two, and walla, it linged up perfectly!
Who says plumbing isn't an exact science!
Ed