ABS Fitting Leaking

Earlier this spring I re-piped some of the ABS pipe from my sump pump. I put in a ball-c*ck valve to allow easy changeover from the storm drain to outside to water my lawn. Now there is a leak where the pipe meets a fitting. It only leaks (and not very much, no drips, just wet) when I discharge to the outside and the pipe is full of water (because the check valve keeps water in the pipe). Can I fix it by just putting some solvent around the joint or do I have to replace the joint?

Here's a diagram:

to outside | | | | | | _ ballcock valve

---------------- -----------/ \--------------- | ---------------------------------------------- to storm sewer | | | | | | pump

It's the T that is leaking

Thanks in advance, Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Prevett

Replace the fitting, ensure you prime the pipe before using the solvent glue.

Reply to
Brikp

Dumb question, but what exactly is priming the pipe? Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Prevett

I think he means to put the cleaner solvent or the prep solution on the pipe before gluing. I have heard it referred to as Priming... Jim

Reply to
Jim

Cleans and starts the pipe swelling before being cemented, making for a tighter joint. Building inspectors look for priming. Don't try to clean off any runs or excess, or you might be fined for not using primer!

Reply to
Father Haskell