Abrasive sink polishing kit worked wonders

My sink was stained up and had irremovable hard water/corrosion stains. I went to home depot and found a $10 sink polishing kit. It has various grades of sandpaper. Amazingly it took everything off and restored it to like-new condition. Hardly took any elbow grease, just 15 minutes.
Anyone know what grit sandpaper they use ? I want to buy some more to clean up some of my bathroom fixtures. Or should I just buy another $10 kit?
On 3/30/2010 11:25 AM, Homer Simpson wrote:

May depend on material your sink is made of. I used to polish an old Seiko plastic watch crystal with tooth paste but am sure it would not work on stainless.
On Tue 30 Mar 2010 10:00:18a, Frank told us...

I've found that those new "magic sponges", both brand name and generic, will remove almost any stain without leaving any additional abrasive marks. I useit on my SS kitchen sink more than I use cleaning compounds. I also use it on my glassstop stove.

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

I've found that using automotive "polishing compound" works as good as the expensive abrasive sponges. Probably at about 1/100th of the cost.
On Tue, 30 Mar 2010 08:25:56 -0700 (PDT), Homer Simpson

4, 6, or 8 hundred grit wet paper? I know it is as fine as a frog's hair.
Homer Simpson wrote:

Auto body supply places can sell you sandpaper up to 2000 grit, as used in the "scary sharp" tool sharpening method. I would expect that that would do what you describe.

re: "Auto body supply places can sell you sandpaper up to 2000 grit..."
2000 grit? That's some pretty rough stuff.
How about 12,000 grit? ;-)
http://www.woodcraft.com/Family/2004014/Micro-Mesh-Sanding-Kit.aspx

Old wives trick.... Use baking soda and a sponge. That'll take off just about anything on stainless steel.