Above-ground Stump removal ideas needed

It's also REALLY dangerous because to do a hole you're going to be using the tip which you aren't supposed to do. Unless you enjoy chainsaws bouncing into your face that is.

Reply to
Bill Seurer

Bruce Musgrove

Doesn't burn very well is not the same as doesn't burn at all. Which is why I suggested starting with charcoal (I suppose you could even start with coal.) Granted it might burn slowly but I'm not sure there was a time constraint from the OP.

Not lately.

Okay so start with a little hole and take a little longer. Or start with lots of little holes.

I believe the issue was of ruining chain, blade, etc with dirt.

Yes the OP seems quite well aware of the problems chain sawing a stump, which is why I suggested he gouge a hole and burn it...I also suggested that this might not be such a good idea when I learned the stump was 3 feet away from his house.

And it will if it does.

And that's a bad thing?

Reply to
Robert Morein

Nope. Get a CLUE.

"C.L.U.E. reports indicate losses by type. Consumers should be aware that contacting their company or their agent to discuss an actual loss might be considered reporting a claim, even if the company does not end up making a claim payment. This is because when a loss occurs, the policy requires the company to take specific actions within specified time frames. Consumers should be specific as to whether they are filing a claim or only making an inquiry."

"Many home insurers count inquiry calls -- calls in which homeowners simply ask informally whether their policy will cover certain damages and are told that it won't -- as unpaid losses."

Reply to
someone

Robert Morein responded to:

We burned a walnut tree stump. First we cut vertical slots down into the stump with a chain saw so that it had a lot of grooves going down to near the soil line. Then we started a fire with stove oil and it burned down into the ground and into the roots. It smoldered for a couple weeks before we put it out. We never guessed it would work so well. It was in the fall and the stump was fairly fresh.

Another alternative is to give the stump away. We have people around here that buy stumps to chop into hardwood mulch for nurserymen. So perhaps you can find someone who wants the stump.

Reply to
S. M. Henning