Above-ground Stump removal ideas needed

Page 3 of 3
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Harry K) wrote in message

The only way I can think of doing it on the cheap is to dig a bigger hole and roll them in. Let the termites take care of them.

Hose them clean, varnish them, and sell them as art.
snipped-for-privacy@localnet.com (Beecrofter) wrote in message

This sounds like the best idea.. after all he has a root ball pulled out of the soil and if he cuts the trunk off close to the root ball, it won't be too much more digging. ---leo/lee
(Beecrofter) wrote in message

In theory this sounds like a good idea, but it's not as simple as it might sound. The larger of the two stumps--even with all of the tree trunk cut off--is roughly a cube 6' on each side. The hole next to the stump is the same diameter but only about 1 foot deep. (I'm guessing that since the tree went down when the soil was saturated with water there was something akin to a small mudslide that filled in the hole.) Given that this soil is mostly clay, I don't see anyway short of using a backhoe digging a hole of that size.
I have come to the conclusion that no method of removal will be easy (or even close).
Some folks have mentioned using homeowner's insurance to cover the cost of removal. We're already contacted our insurance company. Since almost every home in this area has some damage, we figure whether we make a claim or not our rates are going to be affected. Unfortunately, insurance only covers trees that have fallen on the house, and so since these trees did not hit the house, that is not covered.
Tony

Bad idea. Even if the main colony of termites doesn't attack his house from where they are, the next swarm could put 10 colonies along his stem wall, three inside and five at his neighbor's house. The entire neighborhood will be panicked when they see termite alates (queens and kings) on their windowsills both inside (some will get lucky and fly in) and outside... and guess who they're going to blame it on.
Dig up the root balls. Get what you can of the roots. Chop them up with an axe (being sure not to hit any pvc pipe underground) and throw them away.
alt.consumers.pest-control