above ground pool sand filter problem

my pump keeps leaking after I backwash ,sometimes if I keep turning back and forth I can get it to stop but tired of this and this time it wont stop. what is the problem?
Are you sure it's the pump that's leaking? From your description, it sounds like a valve. Tom houbs wrote:

Where is the water coming out?
How old is the valve at the top of the filter? I just replaced mine at about 10 years due to leaks.
If the water is coming out the waste outlet, it's probably the gasket, which I think you can replace separately, but if the unit is old enough, go for a new valve body.
yes it is coming out of the waste outlet and I can get it to leak slow ,but still more than a drip. I put a hose on it and ran it back to the pool.still would like to know what and how to fix.I don't know how old it is, a friend gave it to us but he is in Iraq now. Dan Espen wrote:

Simplest fix is new valve body. They aren't terribly expensive.

If this is that 6 way drum valve there is a spider gasket in there you can replace. Any pool store has them hanging on the rack with the other stuff that goes bad a lot. The pool guy can tell you how to get it out on your particular valve.

Had this same problem 2-3 times over the last 30+ years my pool has been in use....... Honestly replacing the gasket is not at all hard nor complicated... and not expensive...
Bob G.