Above ground pool freezing over, water level question...

Hello everyone,

My first post's subject line was not very descriptive of my problem...

First year above ground pool owner here. 24' round, deck built 3/4 distance around, winter was coming and was time to cover it up.

Left over hurricane and rains knocked over a big tree which missed the pool except for a branch which hit the coping (bent it) and ripped the cover in several places. I patched the biggest rip (I could reach it) and then I put a 15'x4.5' inflate pillow under the over to keep the smaller holes out of the water.

Now winter is here and the cover has frozen water on it. The water level in the pool had been lowered to below the skimmer but now the water level includes a thick layer of ice and is about 1 1/2" below where the liner slips into the channel in the frame.

I didn't think there would be much water transfer into the pool from the holes as they were out of the water. Local pool comany says that it's just the weight of the water/ice on the cover that rose the level.

I was toying with the idea of busting a hole in the ice and syphoning out some water but I don' want the slab of ice built under the cover to rub and maybe tear the liner as it sinks lower in the pool.

What happens is the pool freezes over the top? Does it just run and freeze over or does it take parts with it?

What do you think?

Thanks, Gary

Reply to
GaryDawg

Don't know if I can answer your question but the best way to close this type of pool is to use a "S" shaped siphon that will establish a set level and keep it there.

Use flexible clear tubing, around an inch in diameter. Insert a coat hanger wire inside it to create the "S" shape. Then hang the longest end into the pool well below the surface level. The shorter end will be outside, pointing up, and cut to establish the wanted level. Just prime it initially and nothing else is needed.

Reply to
tnom

You removed the hoses from the skimmer......right? Excess water when it reaches the skimmer should drain off slowly, and isn't there an organic type of anti freeze, like the type used on rv's

Reply to
David Babcock