above ground pool base

I need to replace my onground pool liner. I currently have styrofoam as a base ( I prefer it to using sand) but was thinking of using something denser, something that will compact less. Perhaps polystyrene insulation. Anyone used this? Which thickness would you recommend?

Reply to
ronm

What form is the Styrofoam in now? Bead form?

Insulating sheets can take a fair amount of pressure. Most expanded polystyrene insulation is 1 pound per cubic foot or less. I know that 2 pound will deflect 5% at 23 psi. It would give a smooth base. I'd probably tape over the seams so there is no pinching.

Is it a good idea? I have no idea as to how practical it is. I think that will also depend on how smooth the base is so you get a smooth bottom and not a bunch of 2' x 4' panels at odd angles to each other.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

thanks. Its 4x8 styofoam sheets right now. I think I will go to 4x8 x 1" polystyrene insulation ductaped together.

Reply to
ronm

insulation.

If you are using white styrene, switch to "extruded polystyrene" which is rated for 25 pounds per square inch. It is available at many building supplies places.

Bob

Reply to
Bob