Above ground elec. from house to garage?

I'm in Boston and have a garage that is about 6 feet from the house . The garage has no electricity. Is it legal to run an extension from the house about 10 feet up off the ground out to the garage? It looks like the previous owners did it but they took it down long before i bought it.

If you mean an extension cord, no, it would not be legal. You'd have to run the proper outdoor wire with drip loops, proper attachments, strain reliefs to a box inside. Or it can go underground. Ed
Only 10 feet? Dig a trench, lay some PVC pipe, drill a hole in both walls, run some wire, light it up!

Whereas On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 02:23:37 GMT, "eric"

--
Gary J. Tait . Email is at yahoo.com ; ID:classicsat

well, I ran into a similar situation, with the kids treehouse. What I did was mount 3 porclean insulators on the house, then another set on the treehouse. I have one neutral, two hots(220v.) and I bonded the neutral and ground in the treehouse at a $10.00 Square-D circuit box. The whole job is fed by a 30 amp double pole Pushmatic breaker(ancient, I know), then the wires go in romex to a service head. Email me if u want any pictures. It was very easy, and i didnt permit anything (an electrician checked it over).

220 to a treehouse? So much for "roughing it."
Now... when *I* was a kid...
Whereas On 17 Oct 2003 20:04:35 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@netscape.net (Al) scribbled: , I thus relpy:

You ran a ground rod I hope.
--
Gary J. Tait . Email is at yahoo.com ; ID:classicsat

Almost nothing easy one wants to do on one's own is 'legal' in the view of municipal codes.
OTOH, it seems reasonable that a "temporary" extension cord arrangement wouldn't be impossible. Check your local codes. Call up somebody in your equivalent of the "Codes & Compliance" office. From a pay phone, of course, so you can't be traced. :-) At least you'll get an idea of what the rules are. It's possible that it'll be simple to comply.
--------------050803090608050807080608 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Frogleg wrote:

boat. Really neat when the insulation got dinged by lawn care folks and then fell in the water. If the insulation deteriorates, and it is in contact with metal or water, you are asking for trouble. Better safe than sorry :o) Those nasty codes usually have sound reasons behind them.
--------------050803090608050807080608 Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
--------------050803090608050807080608--
The feed actually went to the gazeebo, where it pulled 220. The treehouse only pulled 110, aand both panels wer bonded, grounded, and the ground rod is going in as i type. The electrician is doing some odd jobs I dont have time for, and he gave me a deal.