About time!!

Halleluiah! ACQ PT lumber is on it's way out of circulation. The new PT lumber is called MCQ and eliminates all the corrosion problems of ACQ. Any exterior rated hardware can be used with it. It's color is barely darker than natural wood with just a slight hint of green. Ground contact rated (0.40) has a lifetime warranty.
http://www.canfor.com/products/wood/treatedlumber/mcq.asp
Southern "Yella" wood has already changed over and is on the market. Georgia Pacific is in the process of swapping out their ACQ for MCQ. Look for the big box stores to continue selling ACQ to unknowledgeble homeowners until all supplies are sold.
KC

What's up with pine turpentine?
On 2/17/2009 4:44 PM Oren spake thus:

Dunno, what *is* up with it? (By the way, "pine turpentine" is needlessly redundant.)
--
Personally, I like Vista, but I probably won\'t use it. I like it
David Nebenzahl wrote:

So is "needlessly redundant."
On 2/18/2009 4:19 AM HeyBub spake thus:

I'm glad you caught that one, but was hoping you'd sense it was intentional.
This message brought to you by your Department of Redundancy Department.
--
Personally, I like Vista, but I probably won\'t use it. I like it
David Nebenzahl wrote:

Not to worry, this newsgroup is a safe haven at this point in time.
On 2/18/2009 12:20 PM HeyBub spake thus:

Ah, cop-speak: I love it.
"At this point in time we have not, as of yet, apprehended the male person, the gentleman who is wanted, who is, uh, wanted as a person of interest, as well as the female person who was last seen in the vicinity of the aforementioned male person."
Who teaches those guys/gals to talk that way?
--
Personally, I like Vista, but I probably won\'t use it. I like it
I read a ditty a couple decade ago. About teaching kids to speak in Firematic language.

Ain't the teachers. It's the lawyers.
If a cop phrases something the wrong way in a public statement, the perp can often walk on a technicality. "Innocent until proven guilty."
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Careful language in police reports and court testimony seem like positive developments. Heck, the police can't even beat your kid any more for misbehaving.
Dick and Jane were boring in first grade - last time I read about them, Mom, Dad, Spot, Puff and Sally. Did I leave anyone out?
On 2/19/2009 9:55 AM snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net spake thus:

No, they just shoot them in the back, while supposedly "reaching for my taser[1]".
[1] Itself a lethal weapon, as evidenced yet again by recent police killings in San Jose, Santa Rosa and elsewhere.
--
Personally, I like Vista, but I probably won\'t use it. I like it

It's made from lighter stumps - the heartwood of large pine tree stumps logged many years ago. Today they're logging pines 6" - 12" diameter and they're not big enough to form lighter stumps. Or those that do are so few & far between it's not worth the effort to find & harvest them.
KC

Yes, I grabbed some stump roots off the train cars. It was years ago, but a lighter knot burned all night. Warm camp ground.
Today land is leased and they want trees; like birthing babies, The wood is not as good.
A man in Florida recovers *yeller pine* from rivers and said to make a bundle of money. Had to relate in river logging.
On 2/18/2009 1:44 PM KC spake thus:

Since you mention "lighter", a term I haven't heard in many years, a question: a long time ago, a southern gentleman of my acquaintance told me that in Alabama where he was from, they call that stuff "lighter'd" (he said "lighter-dee" by way of explanation. Has anyone heard this locution?
--
Personally, I like Vista, but I probably won\'t use it. I like it
On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 17:04:04 -0800, David Nebenzahl

No.
lighter knot has plenty of turpentine, so we called it "kintlin" (kindling) One match would start a fire flame.

They call it petrified wood here. The last piece of heartwood that survives from an old dead slash pine.

Nope. I've lived in north & central Alabama and never heard it called that. Perhaps it's a southern Alabama phrase - a lot of coon-ass cajun dialects down there. (oops, another redundant phrase)
KC

What was the old stuff ACC? It lasted, and this new MCQ nobody knows about yet. So it has a warranty The original stuff worked, the replacement rotted and had a Lifetime bs warranty. And if its from China you know it will rot fast.

It's stamped SYP (Southern Yellow Pine). But then that could be southern China and still be a legit label I guess.