About the new energy-saving light bulbs

Page 1 of 2  

About those new energy-saving light bulbs -- I think some are called compact florescent?
Anyway, say I have a desk lamp with a small label that says that I shouldn't use more than a 60-watt bulb. A new "60-watt" florescent bulb uses only 13 watts of energy and doesn't get as hot as a 60-watt incandescent light bulb. A 100-watt florescent would only use, say, 24 watts of energy (I don't know the exact amount). So could I use a 100-watt florescent bulb in the desk lamp that's rated for no higher than a 60-watt bulb?
Thanks in advance,
--

8^)~ Sue (remove the x to email)
~~~~
I reserve the absolute right to be smarter today than I was
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Yes, provided it physically fits. If the fixture uses a dimmer, it would not function unless you have a dimmable CF lamp

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Yes, the rating on the fixture applies to the amount of current drawn and the amount of heat it can dissipate. On both counts the "100-watt equivalent" compact flourescant qualifies.
Robert Scott Ypsilanti, Michigan
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

Those new bulbs are supposed to last 8 years, but I've noticed a very high failure rate. I've bought 20 and 10 of them failed either out of the box or within 6 months. Keep your recieipts.
Also, the 100 watt ones produce less light than the 75 watt incandescents.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Have you seen the reports of the problem of disposal and especially the danger in clean up if one breaks. One woman was quoted a $2000.00 for decontamination of her daughters bedroom. Seems they contain mercury and it is a toxic material by EPA. So you are playing with fire in using them. Yea I know the Green people are advocating them but they aren't putting out the hazard of them either. Jack
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

There's as much energy in a gallon of gas as there is in a stick of dynamite !
Be sure to store ALL gasoline at least a mile from your house. ( that includes the stuff in your autos gas tank )
.... I hear the sky is falling too ! <rj>
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

A Philips 25-watt Marathon CFL contains less than 3 mg of Hg -- 2.64 to be exact. To put this in perspective, my Honeywell thermostats each contain 3,000 mg (my home has three). Sky falling? Now *that's* something to worry about!
Cheers, Paul
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Jack wrote:

In a saner time years back, I broke a real thermometer with real mercury in it; I could see it bead up on the floor. Remembering that someone told me it was toxic, I called a poison control center for instructions. The person on the other end acted like I was crazy to waste her time; she told me to pick it up any way possible without a lot of skin contact, and implied that I should quit bothering her with nonsense.
--
Music hath charms to soothe the savage breast.
That\'s why stereo has two channels.
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I've told this story before, but when my upstairs neighbor swallowed bleach, I looked in my two first aid booklets' poison section and found nothing, and called the poison control center, and her book didn't say anything either. She asked a doctor who said no problem. I guess I had told them that she hadn't swallowed much of it, but years later I found out that bleach is a posion of some sort if you swallow maybe a cup.

I wonder how big a city one has to live in to keep one person in the poison control center busy for 80% of an 8 hours shift.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

Bleach is not a poison, it's a caustic agent. (Stomach acid is mostly HCl, just in fairly dilute form) The accidental ingestion rules should be on the bottle, and IIRC, are to drink water and/or milk, in order to dilute the acid to a level your stomach can cope with.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I did call it a poison so you were right to correct me.

I should have called a caustic agent control center. :)

This was 25 years ago, and I don't think there were any remedied listed, but in addition, they didn't have the bottle. One roommate poured the bleach into a plastic or cardboard milk carton, the second roommmate came home and found the "milk" on the table so she put it in the refrigerator, and the third girl took it out of the fridge and drank some. Then she came downstairs to see me.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Bleach is not an acid - its main non-water ingredient is sodium hypochlorite, which is caustic because it is an oxidizing agent.
- Don Klipstein ( snipped-for-privacy@misty.com)
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Wed, 2 May 2007 00:47:24 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@manx.misty.com (Don Klipstein) wrote:

Right... I got that mixed up with my "why muriatic acid isn't all that dangerous" rant. Someday I will learn to read what I write before hitting send.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
clifto wrote:

Moron woman with no common sense asks a gov't plebe with no common sense and this is the answer
I have lost all respect for Radley Balko for publishing this crap
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
clifto wrote:

were supposed to pass a glob of mercury hand to hand to see if it could get around the class without dropping. We all survived, AFAIK. At least, speaking for myself, my forked tail is not too uncomfortable when I'm seated, and my horn hides nicely under my baseball cap.
Paul in San Francisco
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

And keep in mind the hard lesson some have learned - when these bulbs break, you have serious hazardous waste situation with the mercury powder in the bulbs. For all the hysteria about how "eco-friendly" these CF bulbs are, they are a homeowner's nightmare.
In a word, just say "no."
-intrepid
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 25 Apr 2007 09:07:48 -0700, intrepid snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Speaking of hysteria...
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
intrepid snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com writes:

The powder in the bulbs is the phosphor. There is mercury, but it should be in tiny little drops of liquid mercury. There's so little you might not be able to see it at all (~4 mg).
Where do you get this information from?
    Dave
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
An incident talking about CF breakage can be found here:
http://ellsworthmaine.com/site/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&idt46&Itemid1
Not hysteria. It's actually happened.
-intrepid
On Apr 25, 1:28 pm, snipped-for-privacy@cs.ubc.ca (Dave Martindale) wrote:

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 26 Apr 2007 08:27:25 -0700, intrepid snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Sure sounds like hysteria to me!
CWM
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

    HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.