About recalls for runaway cars.

I don't ride the brake and I never caused any problems with left braking. Later on, I decided to change to right braking. It's the same. It's the stupid drivers who know nothing about how to drive.
I've snapped a clutch cable at least twice that I can remember. Managed to get home by starting the car in neutral. Push the car till it's barely rolling. Cram the shift into first, and put the flashers on. Get up around 10 MPH, and shift to second. It's not fun, but it beats walking.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
On 3/12/10 5:53 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I was riding in my brothers Datsun 510 and his gearbox got stuck in 4th. I probably push the car rolling and jumped in around 50 times as we limped it to a family friend's garage 25km away. If I remember correctly it was just a faulty pin. Such an easy fix it didn't even cost him for the repair. But that is the reason we took it to the family friend.
I can't tell you how many times he just told us what the problem was and told us to fix it our selves. One time pulled error code from the computer walked into his shop, came out carrying a coil pack (obviously salvaged). As he handed it to me he said swap out the first coil pack, if that does not fix it replace the next one, and walked back into the shop.

I've had a couple of clutch cables break over the years also in my 1976 VW Rabbit. I just put it in first gear and crank the starter. As long as the battery is charged up and the engine runs well it'll move the car and start the engine at the same time. Once you get up to speed just back off the accelerator and gently slip it into second. Repeat for third and fourth gears. It's not very workable for in-town driving, but if you're out on the highway a long way from home it sure beats calling for a tow (especially before we had cell phones to call someone).
I had an accelerator cable break once too. I just grabbed a screwdriver from the glovebox and cranked up the idle speed on the carburetor. It was slow going, but sure beat walking.
I've even had the accelerator get stuck on a couple of occasions. No biggy with a manual, you just push in the clutch and coast off to the shoulder. Or, put it in neutral and coast to a stop. Even with an automatic you should be able to turn off the ignition and coast (just not so far to lock the steering).
Battery dead, no problem. Just push the car to get it rolling, and let the clutch out to push start it.
Anthony

== Well, I suppose that if you tromped hard enough you could crush the beer cans enough that you could gain control. We only had beer bottles at that time and THEY were a problem. Been there, done that.
==