About recalls for runaway cars.

Page 9 of 10

On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 08:53:10 -0700 (PDT), Harry K

Try driving a few cars and get back to me. The brake light switch controls the brake lights and triggers the unlock.
Add pictures here
✖
On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 21:28:57 -0700 (PDT), Harry K

The brake switch for left-foot brakers should be connected to the horn. "get out of my way -my brakes might not work"
Add pictures here
✖
On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 13:58:35 -0700 (PDT), Harry K

Really? I guess they will need two left feet so they can ride the clutch as well?
Add pictures here
✖
On Mar 17, 5:33 am, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

??? Who rides with their foot above the clutch unless they are about to use it?
Harry K
Add pictures here
✖
On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 06:40:33 -0700 (PDT), Harry K

Same answer holds true for the brake pedal. No one needs to have a foot hovering over the brake pedal to brake with the left foot.
Add pictures here
✖
On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 10:48:44 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

Then it has *no* advantage over right-foot braking and a lot of disadvantages.
Add pictures here
✖
On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 19:08:12 -0500, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

I assume you must have a cite for a peer reviewed scientific study that backs up those assertions...
You couldn't possibly just be pulling this stuff out of your butt, could you?
Add pictures here
✖
On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 20:42:33 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

It's obvious, dummy. If you have to move your foot, either works equally. The big disadvantage is that each foot can (and will) be on both petals during emergency stopping (or worse), a time were acceleration isn't wanted. Right-foot braking removes this possibility.

No, but that's where your head has always been.
Add pictures here
✖
On Mar 17, 7:48 am, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

If your foot isn't already there in an emergency, of what benefit is LFB? If you _expect_ to use it_ and need that extra little bit of reaction time, perhaps you shouild be looking at your driving habits, especially how close you are tailgating.
Harry K
Add pictures here
✖
On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 21:25:20 -0700 (PDT), Harry K

Tailgaters are incompetent drivers.
If one is behind me, I slow down to make sure they have enough safe stopping distance for the distance between us.
When possible and safe, I get out of their self-important way.
Add pictures here
✖
[snip]

Always use the correct foot. It doesn't matter what pedal you put pressure on, as long as you use the correct foot :-)
Add pictures here
✖
On Mar 14, 4:26 pm, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

I don't either but do vaguely recall discussions in the driving oriented magazines about it back then. Most of them were in the sport and racing mags though.
Harry K
Add pictures here
✖

By the early 70s, when I took driver's ed in Michigan, they taught right-foot braking.
Cindy Hamilton
Add pictures here
✖
Douglas Johnson wrote:

Just the opposite for me. Same place and time.
Add pictures here
✖
wrote:> If you're driving an automatic and need your left foot hoovering above

Here in Ontario, if the driving examiner catches you breaking with the left foot, you will fail here also.....improper use of controls.

No foot confusion here either.
Ron
Add pictures here
✖

I defy you to drive with your left foot "above" the brake pedal for more than a minute or so. Whether you believe it or not, you _will_ be resting your foot _on_ the pedal.
Whether you do it hard enough to light the brake lights...
Harry K
Add pictures here
✖

I usually just cover for a few seconds while resolving the situation by other means. Like slowing down, or changing lanes to avoid the problem. -- Doug
Add pictures here
✖

many LFBs unknowingly ride their brakes,causing others behind them to put on their brakes,and screwing up traffic flow.

a FREQUENT problem.

YOU don't,but not everybody is the same as you.
sorry,but it's a BAD habit. Leave it on the racetrack.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Yep.
If you avoid the problems we've discussed, why is it a bad habit? I was taught it in my original driver's ed course and later in my high performance street driving training for emergency vehicles.
-- Doug
Add pictures here
✖

IF..... the problem is that people DONT avoid them. also,under stress,people revert back to learned habits(y'know;practice,practice,practice),and you have not established ONE braking habit,but two,that HAS to be chosen,which is NOT a reflex.

How do you KNOW -you- aren't riding the brake?
I've never heard of driver's ed teaching left-foot braking. That would be very confusing for an inexperienced driver,in addition to all the other new stuff they have to learn.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik