About recalls for runaway cars.

Page 1 of 10

When I was a teen driver back in the 1950s, I had cars that would not stop , shift into neutral, or depress the clutch (these were all standard shift cars). There were no recalls, either from the car manufacturer, or the company that made the beer cans that rolled under the pedals.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

IMO,if only manual transmissions were allowed(except for handicapped),then there would be a lot fewer morons on the roads.
No left-foot brakers,either.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Jim Yanik wrote the following:

Everyone should have to take a class before they can drive a 4 wheel drive vehicle. Maybe that will cut down on the number of 4 wheel drive vehicles that pass you at high speeds on snow covered roads as you struggle to keep going, and then you pass them as they lie off the side of the road with various sides of the vehicle showing. Just because they can go faster in inclement weather, they don't steer or brake any better than a 2 wheel drive vehicle.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

An experienced and locally well known police officer on highway patrol was regularly contacted by the host of one of our morning shows for a road report, traffic/weather conditions etc. .....
On one occasion, after providing comments, the officer was asked "And where will you be heading now?".
His reply was a classic, "I think I'll head back towards the city and see how many SUVs have gone off the road!".
No other comment needed!
Sadly, I'm qualified. Having killed the front gearbox on my first 4WD, in total ignorance. The two times I spun out and went into the ditch. One was going uphill in what I thought was 4wd. Someone flew past me, and so I said "Oh, I can go faster". touched the gas, and spun out.
Second moment, on my second 4wd vehicle. but I was in 2wd. Same deal. Going slowly uphill on icy road. Someone flew past me and I said ..... touched the gas, and spun out.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

There's nothing basically wrong with left foot braking, I've done it all my driving career, at least with automatics. It has the advantage of allowing you to "cover" the brake pedal in circumstances where you might need to break.
By putting your left foot *above* the brake pedal, you reduce reaction time. There is a problem when someone confuses the brake pedal with a foot rest and puts their foot *on* the brake pedal while driving.
No, I don't get confused when I drive manuals. I use right foot braking then. Don't even think about it.
-- Doug

If you're driving an automatic and need your left foot hoovering above the brake pedal to "cover" it, while your other foot is on the gas, then I'd say you're doing something very wrong. Simply slow down and allow more space so there is no need to cover, which means that right foot should be off the gas and on the brake. I can move my foot from gas to brake in maybe a couple tenths of a second or less. Here in NJ they will fail you for your driving test if you use two feet with an automatic.

It's not an either-or choice. I will often cover while slowing down.

Amazing. Left foot braking was what I was taught in driver's ed in Michigan in the mid-60's.
-- Doug

I don't believe you.

Do you have specific evidence to the contrary? I could be wrong.
I mean, it was a long time ago and my memory is not what it used to be, but I have always left foot braked automatics. I've taken a number of driving tests (including a Class A license) and never had a problem with it. It seems to me that left foot braking greatly reduces the chances of pressing on the gas when you think you are pressing on the brake, a possible cause of some of the acceleration problems.
On the other hand, the New Jersey Driver Manual http://www.nj.gov/mvc/pdf/Licenses/Driver%20Manual/Chapter_3.pdf says: "A motorist should always use his/her right foot for both the brake and the gas pedal" -- Doug

Only that NO ONE was teaching such crap in the '60s (though nothing would surprise me today). Manual transmissions were still the norm and a left foot on the brake was definitely a no-no.

It greatly increases the chance that you'll stomp on both.

Absolutely.

Really? You tried them all? Berkley High in 1966? The cars we learned on had automatics. I actually didn't learn to drive a manual until college.
Seriously, I remember being taught left foot braking in driver's ed and I've done it all my life. I don't know where I would have learned it otherwise. But it will take more than a statement like that to invalidate my memory. We may have to decide we can't convince each other. -- Doug
FWIW, I began driving a tractor (clutch) at 10 and cars at 12. That was in the 50's. I learned to use my left foot for the clutch and right for brake and throttle. In the 80's, I taught my kids the same thing-first on a John Deere and then a car. IMHO, there is no reason, and is a cause for possible harm, to teach a person to do otherwise. Sure, the Driver Ed-mobiles and many cars now have autos, but what good does it to to teach a reaction to kids that could get them killed when they move up to a manual transmission eventually?
--
Nonny
When we talk to God, we're praying,

You do know that people who ride motorcycles use their feet (and hands) differently then when they drive cars? Similarly, people who fly aircraft use their feet (and arms) differently then people who drive cars? Yet they all manage to do so safely even when switching between the various modes of transportation. Or do you think aircraft pilots are creating a hazard on the roadways as they drive to and from the airport?
The notion that people can't manage to use two feet in different ways when driving is silly. Like anything, it's a skill that must be learned. If you haven't, or are unable, to learn that skill then by all means continue to let your left foot just flop around on the floor and use only your right foot while driving an automatic.. Those of use with the skill to use both feet will continue to do so and be safer and more refined drivers as a result. Perhaps you ought to give it a try, and I don't mean for 2 minutes, I mean for a week or two until it's second nature, you might be surprised at how much smoother and more effectively you can control your car in traffic. I've driven (cars [with and without a clutch] and motorcycles) and flown aircraft and never had a problem with my feet getting confused. It's something you LEARN, just like the rest of the skills you acquire in life.

== "Safer and refined"...what b.s. you are peddling...all in your own mind perhaps. ==
Roy wrote:

Unfortunately, many left foot braking drivers rest their left foot on the brake pedal, and nobody behind them can tell that they press the brake because their brake light is on all the time.

I don't see 1 out of 10000 drivers do that and I have no idea if it's because they left foot brake or what the cause is.

Perhaps it's just in your mind that other people can't do it because you can't.

??? So you think you can hold your foot in the air for long periods?
Harry K
On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 06:38:38 -0700 (PDT), Harry K