About recalls for runaway cars.

When I was a teen driver back in the 1950s, I had cars that would not stop , shift into neutral, or depress the clutch (these were all standard shift cars). There were no recalls, either from the car manufacturer, or the company that made the beer cans that rolled under the pedals.

Reply to
willshak

willshak wrote in news:1ZmdnV1TG_vgzgfWnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@supernews.com:

IMO,if only manual transmissions were allowed(except for handicapped),then there would be a lot fewer morons on the roads.

No left-foot brakers,either.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Jim Yanik wrote the following:

Everyone should have to take a class before they can drive a 4 wheel drive vehicle. Maybe that will cut down on the number of 4 wheel drive vehicles that pass you at high speeds on snow covered roads as you struggle to keep going, and then you pass them as they lie off the side of the road with various sides of the vehicle showing. Just because they can go faster in inclement weather, they don't steer or brake any better than a 2 wheel drive vehicle.

Reply to
willshak

An experienced and locally well known police officer on highway patrol was regularly contacted by the host of one of our morning shows for a road report, traffic/weather conditions etc. .....

On one occasion, after providing comments, the officer was asked "And where will you be heading now?".

His reply was a classic, "I think I'll head back towards the city and see how many SUVs have gone off the road!".

No other comment needed!

Reply to
terry

Sadly, I'm qualified. Having killed the front gearbox on my first 4WD, in total ignorance. The two times I spun out and went into the ditch. One was going uphill in what I thought was 4wd. Someone flew past me, and so I said "Oh, I can go faster". touched the gas, and spun out.

Second moment, on my second 4wd vehicle. but I was in 2wd. Same deal. Going slowly uphill on icy road. Someone flew past me and I said ..... touched the gas, and spun out.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I've snapped a clutch cable at least twice that I can remember. Managed to get home by starting the car in neutral. Push the car till it's barely rolling. Cram the shift into first, and put the flashers on. Get up around 10 MPH, and shift to second. It's not fun, but it beats walking.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

There's nothing basically wrong with left foot braking, I've done it all my driving career, at least with automatics. It has the advantage of allowing you to "cover" the brake pedal in circumstances where you might need to break.

By putting your left foot *above* the brake pedal, you reduce reaction time. There is a problem when someone confuses the brake pedal with a foot rest and puts their foot *on* the brake pedal while driving.

No, I don't get confused when I drive manuals. I use right foot braking then. Don't even think about it.

-- Doug

Reply to
Douglas Johnson

I was riding in my brothers Datsun 510 and his gearbox got stuck in 4th. I probably push the car rolling and jumped in around 50 times as we limped it to a family friend's garage 25km away. If I remember correctly it was just a faulty pin. Such an easy fix it didn't even cost him for the repair. But that is the reason we took it to the family friend.

I can't tell you how many times he just told us what the problem was and told us to fix it our selves. One time pulled error code from the computer walked into his shop, came out carrying a coil pack (obviously salvaged). As he handed it to me he said swap out the first coil pack, if that does not fix it replace the next one, and walked back into the shop.

Reply to
Johnie Kanuc

=3D=3D Well, I suppose that if you tromped hard enough you could crush the beer cans enough that you could gain control. We only had beer bottles at that time and THEY were a problem. Been there, done that.

=3D=3D

Reply to
Roy

If you're driving an automatic and need your left foot hoovering above the brake pedal to "cover" it, while your other foot is on the gas, then I'd say you're doing something very wrong. Simply slow down and allow more space so there is no need to cover, which means that right foot should be off the gas and on the brake. I can move my foot from gas to brake in maybe a couple tenths of a second or less. Here in NJ they will fail you for your driving test if you use two feet with an automatic.

Reply to
trader4

I defy you to drive with your left foot "above" the brake pedal for more than a minute or so. Whether you believe it or not, you _will_ be resting your foot _on_ the pedal.

Whether you do it hard enough to light the brake lights...

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

I've had a couple of clutch cables break over the years also in my 1976 VW Rabbit. I just put it in first gear and crank the starter. As long as the battery is charged up and the engine runs well it'll move the car and start the engine at the same time. Once you get up to speed just back off the accelerator and gently slip it into second. Repeat for third and fourth gears. It's not very workable for in-town driving, but if you're out on the highway a long way from home it sure beats calling for a tow (especially before we had cell phones to call someone).

I had an accelerator cable break once too. I just grabbed a screwdriver from the glovebox and cranked up the idle speed on the carburetor. It was slow going, but sure beat walking.

I've even had the accelerator get stuck on a couple of occasions. No biggy with a manual, you just push in the clutch and coast off to the shoulder. Or, put it in neutral and coast to a stop. Even with an automatic you should be able to turn off the ignition and coast (just not so far to lock the steering).

Battery dead, no problem. Just push the car to get it rolling, and let the clutch out to push start it.

Anthony

Reply to
HerHusband

Douglas Johnson wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

many LFBs unknowingly ride their brakes,causing others behind them to put on their brakes,and screwing up traffic flow.

a FREQUENT problem.

YOU don't,but not everybody is the same as you.

sorry,but it's a BAD habit. Leave it on the racetrack.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

It's not an either-or choice. I will often cover while slowing down.

Amazing. Left foot braking was what I was taught in driver's ed in Michigan in the mid-60's.

-- Doug

Reply to
Douglas Johnson

I usually just cover for a few seconds while resolving the situation by other means. Like slowing down, or changing lanes to avoid the problem. -- Doug

Reply to
Douglas Johnson

Yep.

If you avoid the problems we've discussed, why is it a bad habit? I was taught it in my original driver's ed course and later in my high performance street driving training for emergency vehicles.

-- Doug

Reply to
Douglas Johnson

I don't believe you.

Reply to
krw

Do you have specific evidence to the contrary? I could be wrong.

I mean, it was a long time ago and my memory is not what it used to be, but I have always left foot braked automatics. I've taken a number of driving tests (including a Class A license) and never had a problem with it. It seems to me that left foot braking greatly reduces the chances of pressing on the gas when you think you are pressing on the brake, a possible cause of some of the acceleration problems.

On the other hand, the New Jersey Driver Manual

"A motorist should always use his/her right foot for both the brake and the gas pedal"

-- Doug

Reply to
Douglas Johnson

Only that NO ONE was teaching such crap in the '60s (though nothing would surprise me today). Manual transmissions were still the norm and a left foot on the brake was definitely a no-no.

It greatly increases the chance that you'll stomp on both.

Absolutely.

Reply to
krw

The one exception is if you drive in NASCAR races. Drive fast, turn left and burn the brakes up. LFB

Reply to
Oren